Lost Passports & BRP's

Your passport and UK visa (printed vignette in your passport or Biometric Residence Permit) are very important documents – they are a form of identification, proof of your immigration permission to be in the UK and they allow you to travel in and out of the country.

You must take great care not to lose these documents, particularly when you are abroad. Replacing them can be very costly and time consuming. If you lose your BRP and/or passport abroad, you will not be able to return to the UK until those documents are replaced which can take several weeks, meaning you might have large expenses for accommodation and you might lose important study time.

If your passport containing your UK visa and/or your Biometric Residence permit are lost or stolen, there are specific procedures you must follow to get them replaced. These vary according to which documents have been lost/stolen, whether your UK visa is a printed vignette in your passport or a Biometric Residence Permit and whether they went missing in the UK or overseas.

Please read the following guidance carefully. If you have any further questions, or require additional support, please email the International Student Support Service using relevant option from the following link.