UK Government figures, based on information from the police forces covering the eight largest cities outside London, show that Sheffield is one of the safest cities in the country. This is, of course, great news but we must be aware that no large centre of population, anywhere in the world, is completely crime-free.

There are a number of steps we can all take to help ensure that we do not become victims of crime and these are especially important when you are a in a new country and city and unfamiliar with your surroundings. The British Council has produced a booklet with lots of information about how international students can stay safe and this can be downloaded from the right hand side of this page. You can also get advice on safety and security matters from the Student Advice Centre.

University Security

The University’s Security Services team work 24 hours a day to help ensure that our campus and residences are a safe environment. On their web pages you can find a number of tips that will help you keep yourself and your property safe. If you have any concerns about security issues on campus or University residences you can call them on 0114 222 4444 in an emergency or 0114 222 4085 in non-emergency situations.

South Yorkshire Police

The University works closely with South Yorkshire Police on safety and security issues and we are fortunate that there is a Campus Police Officer with particular responsibility for the welfare and safety of students. The University’s International Student Support team meets regularly with the officer to discuss matters of concern to international students. A good example of collaboration between the University and the Police is the recent installation of improved lighting and CCTV coverage in the Netherthorpe Road area. You can find out how to keep in touch with the Campus Police Officer, by email and on social media, from the download on the right hand side of the page.

If you need police assistance in an emergency situation, such as if you or others are in immediate danger or if a crime is taking place, call 999 and ask for ‘police’. Be ready to let them know your current location. In non-emergency situations, such as to report any concerns or a crime that has taken place, call 101. Any information you provide to the police will be treated confidentially and anonymously.