After Completion of Studies

Once you have completed your course, you may ordinarily work full-time for the remainder of the period of student leave to remain in the UK. For definitions of when you are considered to have completed your degree, please see here. You may not take a permanent job that extends beyond the expiry date of your visa without switching into another immigration category.

You can seek advice from the Student Advice Centre following completion of your course to check your options as soon as you complete your course.

Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES)

Who can apply through the Doctorate Extension Scheme?

Students applying under the Doctorate Extension Scheme will need to meet the crtieria stated here.

What should I do if I want to apply for a visa through the Doctorate Extension Scheme?

  • You should go to the Student Advice Centre at Level 3 of the Students' Union for initial advice on whether the Doctorate Extension Scheme is the best option for you or whether there are other visa categories (such as Tier 2 or Tier 5) that would be better for you. You should plan ahead and try to do this before you have your viva.
  • Following this, if you are interested in this scheme, you should contact International Student Support as soon as possible after you have had your viva. We will make an appointment for you to check whether you will meet the requirements for DES.
  • Please see below:

Students with corrections to submit after viva

You should ask for a Doctorate Extension Scheme CAS request form from International Student Support just before or just after the viva has taken place. You should then take this to your supervisor for them to provide an accurate expected submission or resubmission date, after which you should return to International Student Support for further advice. International Student Support will only be able to issue the CAS number once there is less 60 days or less yet before the expected completion date of your course. The expected completion date of your course stated on your CAS will be 28 days after your resubmission or submission date.

Students with no corrections after viva

You should go to the International Student Support immediately after finding out the result of your viva. It is very important that you do this as a matter of urgency as if you submit an application under the Doctorate Extension Scheme to the Home Office after your PhD has been awarded, the application will be refused.

Applying for a DES CAS

More information can be found here under 'Route C: Doctorate Extension Scheme'

What visa responsibilities will I have under the Doctorate Extension Scheme?

You will be required to sign a declaration when applying for your Doctorate Extension Scheme CAS from International Student Support. The declaration outlines what responsibilities you will need to adhere to whilst you are in the UK on your Doctorate Extension Scheme visa.

Any questions?

If you have any further questions on applying for a visa under the Doctorate Extension Scheme, please contact the International Student Support Team using any of the following methods:


By Telephone: +44 (0)114 222 9679
By Fax: +44 (0)114 222 1304