Mature Students

This page offers advice, information and support for mature undergraduate students (over the age of 21).

mature students

University Support

We recognise and value the diversity of our mature students and offer a range of dedicated support services to make your transition into University life as seamless and enjoyable as possible.

We have a range of mature students studying with us, some of whom may be:

  • training for a new career
  • retired and fulfilling a lifetime ambition
  • retuning to education after raising their family

Where you require any information or support, please get in touch with the Central Welfare and Guidance team.

Contact Central Welfare and Guidance

Departmental Support

Personal Tutors

Your department will allocate you a personal tutor who will be available during term time if you have any academic or personal concerns.

A number of departments have a designated tutor who deals with issues relating to mature students. Please enquire with your departmental office for further information.

Staff-Student Committees

Every department has a Staff-Student Committee comprised of departmental staff members and student representatives. They discuss academic and non-academic issues within the department and the University.

Membership may include representatives from specific groups such as mature students.

Non-committee members can contact their student representative to raise any issues for discussion.

Childcare Support

University Nursery

The Union Nursery is a non-profit service offering full day care for children of University of Sheffield students, aged 6 months to 5 years.

For more information please visit their website below.

Active Kids Camp

Sport Sheffield runs an Active Kids Camp across the holidays for children aged 5 - 14 years.

For more information on being a student with children, please visit the page below.

Financial Support

For specific financial support related to childcare, please contact the Student Advice Centre.

Please visit the page below for further financial support information.

Student Representation

Mature students are represented through the Mature Student Committee and a dedicated Students' Union Councillor, who also sits on the Committee.

The Mature Students' Committee ensures that the views of mature students are heard as well as organising social events for mature students.

Your Student Councillor will attend Council meetings twice a month to set Union policy and hold the Officers to account.

For any further questions, please contact the SU President.

See Also