What we do with your information if you use SAMHS or access one of our psychological therapists and/or counsellors.
- Data management
- Exceptions to confidentiality
- Record keeping
- Corporate Social Responsibility
Our service provides you with an opportunity to think and talk in confidence with a fully trained counselling specialist. This may be to:
- work through any difficulties, troubling experiences or ill feelings that may be concerning you now or in the past
- help you to gain a clearer understanding of your concerns
- provide emotional support
- assist you to find appropriate ways of coping
This is completely independent to your academic studies. We’re not linked or affiliated with any academic departments whatsoever.
Our counsellors are professionally trained and work within the appropriate regulatory guidelines set out by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
Exceptions to confidentiality
The work our services do together is confidential within the following exceptions:
- If your clinician believes that you, or another person, are at significant risk of harm they will need to share your information with a third party. If possible, we’ll discuss this with you should this situation arise.
- If information is requested by a court of law about a client, the service must comply and release any information (such as a client record) as requested.
- All clinicians are required to discuss their work in clinical supervision sessions. This ensures that our client work meets the highest ethical standards. The supervision is confidential.
The services sometimes contribute to research about our work with clients. In doing so we ensure that any identifying details are removed and our clients remain anonymous.
The Data Protection Act 2018 requires us to obtain your consent for this record keeping, and we ask you to sign your agreement to our practices when you register with us.
You can find further details about data management and access to client notes in our online Client Contract.
Corporate social responsibility
UCS aligns to the central University Corporate Social Responsibility policies and Green Impact initiatives. We actively encourage visitors to travel Green or use public transport.