Can I book an appointment directly with University Counselling Service?

No, all students who need support with their mental wellbeing will register online for a SAMHS triage appointment.

At a triage appointment, your suitability for counselling is considered as well as a much wider range of other available options. At the end of the triage appointment, you will be given more information and what is the most appropriate plan for you.

Where will my triage appointment be held?

All triage appointments are currently held remotely, usually over the phone however we can also arrange appointments using Google Meet.

What can I do while waiting for my Triage appointment?

All students can access to Togetherall (formerly Big White Wall), which is an online mental health and wellbeing service offering self-help programmes, creative outlets and an online community, monitored by therapists 24/7. Our Togetherall page has information on how to gain immediate access.

There are several listening helplines available, where you can talk to someone who is non-judgmental and will not try to offer you solutions. Samaritans is open 24/7 and can be accessed by dialling 116 123 on any phone. Nightline is open 8PM-8AM and is a peer led listening service at the University of Sheffield, which also includes an instant messenger listening service.

Should you need to see someone more urgently, please access help from your GP. Visit our In Crisis page for more information.

I have physical disability access needs, will I still be able to be seen?

Yes. At present, all triage appointments are held remotely over the phone or via Google Meet.

When we are back on campus, you absolutely can access the service and be seen for a triage appointment. Please do let us know if you have requirements, such as wheelchair access/not physically able to walk a flight of stairs.

Our staff are pleased to help every student access their appointments but cannot guarantee that requirements will be in place without the prior knowledge. Please tell us when you book your triage appointment or call the service on 0114 222 4134, or email samhs@sheffield.ac.uk .

Can I request specifically to see a male or female professional?

Yes, of course. It's absolutely natural that you might feel more comfortable with a specific gender of professional.

It is worth noting however, if we are experiencing a large number of requests for appointments, it may delay how quickly you can be seen. If you require urgent support, please always seek help through your GP.

I am worried I'm not 'bad enough' to get support?

It's difficult to judge your mental wellbeing against anyone else's, as everyone's situations are so unique. If you are struggling, please don't hesitate to seek support from your GP, or from SAMHS by registering for a triage appointment.

I need support with autistic spectrum, ADHD, specific learning difficulties (eg dyslexia), sensory impairment or physical disability - is SAMHS the right place to go?

If you require support with anything on this list, OR you are already seeking support from DDSS and wish to discuss it - SAMHS triage is not the right place for you to go. Please contact DDSS directly for help with arranging support.

Who can I talk to about a giving feedback?

Whether you have a compliment or complaint, we would like to hear your feedback about SAMHS or UCS. We appreciate that sometimes the client-therapist relationship is not always easy. As a client you are welcome to voice any concerns or queries (such as changing counsellor), you have outside of this relationship with the Head of Service.

Please email SAMHS and UCS to discuss it with the Reception.  Our services adhere to the University's complaints procedure.

What if talking therapies aren't for me?

Counselling and talking therapies do not suit everyone. For this reason, we recommend students consider alternatives such as self-help. This can enable you to work at your own pace, using your own intuition and being self-reflective in understanding your own behaviour. You can find more information about self-help now.

Please note that self-help is intended for low-level concerns. If you are really struggling to manage your wellbeing please speak to your GP (e.g. UHS) in the first instance.

What if I am studying overseas?

If you are not currently in the UK, we encourage you to access the support available to you in your local area. Please see the document on the right hand side for more details.