This page provides information for students wanting to apply for a Student Mentor.
Having a mentor
Our Student Mentors are volunteer second or third year undergraduate students who have undergone training to offer support and ease your transition into University life.
Where you wish to apply for a Student Mentor, you will usually be matched with a mentor from within your department and, if possible, the same course.
Your mentor can:
- tell you about events and activities
- communicate via phone, email or face to face
- show you round the department and University
- offer one-to-one, confidential advice and support
- introduce you to their other mentees within your department
Our mentors have been trained to ensure your relationship with them is confidential. Only in extreme circumstances will they seek extra support from the mentoring team.
You can meet with your mentor as frequently as you need for the duration of a year.
The page below outlines the experiences of existing students who participated in the Sheffield Mentors Scheme.
How to apply
The following students can apply for a mentor:
- Foundation year students.
- Erasmus or Study Abroad students.
- Mature students from any department.
- First year undergraduate students (Medicine and Dentistry students apply through department).
You can apply for a mentor during your online pre-registration or via the link below any time during your first semester. Please log in with your University details and complete the application form.
Once you have completed the form you will usually be matched with a mentor within 48 hours.
Your mentor will then contact you and arrange a place to meet. Usually you will meet in a public area that is convenient for both of you.
Where you experience any problems or wish to change your mentor, please contact us on the details below.
- Tel: +44 (0)114 222 1279
- Email: email@example.com