Change Your Name
Notify us as soon as your name changes or you notice that the name on your student record is incorrect.
You are responsible for ensuring that your name is correctly recorded by the University.
Name error corrections
If your name is incorrect on your student record (e.g. your name has changed or it is spelt wrong) you will need to contact SSiD to get the required changes made.
To do this, you will need to present original documents to the University which prove your current name. This may be:
- Your birth certificate
- Your passport
- Your marriage certificate/civil marriage certificate or
- Your Decree absolute/end of civil partnership documentation
- A deed poll/change of name deed.
Please note: Your name on your student record must match the order of your name on your ID documentation
If you are currently in Sheffield, you may call at SSiD with your UCard and the appropriate document and the change can be made while you wait.
Distance Learning Students
If you are a distance learning student based outside Sheffield and are unable to visit SSID to have your name changed in person, you will need to:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org providing us with your name, date of birth, registration number and title of your course.
- Attach a colour scan of the documentation proving your change of name (Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Deed Poll, etc).
- Once this information is received a member of the team will update your student record, and inform you by email once the necessary changes have been made.
Registering for Graduation
When you are invited to a graduation ceremony and open the online registration form, your full name will be shown. This name is taken from your student record and will be the name printed on your official degree certificate.
If your name is incorrect, do not register for graduation until you have corrected it. You will need to follow the guidance above for name corrections and once your student record has been amended you can register your graduation intentions. Please ensure that you register your graduation intentions before the set deadline. Further information about preparing for your graduation can be found at; https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/graduation
After your degree is awarded
We are unable to change the name on your University student record or documents after the award of your degree has been made. This includes but is not limited to:
- Copies of your Degree Certificate
- Transcripts of Qualifications for former students
- Letters Confirming Degree/Attendance for former students
This is because the details on your record and University documents are official, definitive statements of facts at the date of your award. We cannot reissue a certificate in a new name where the name has changed after the award has been made. This includes marriage, divorce and name changes by deed poll.
If your request relates to a change of name and gender, the University will facilitate a change and provide a new degree certificate. In the first instance, you should contact Matthew Page in the Student Administration Service (Level 6, Students’ Union) by email (M.Page@sheffield.ac.uk) or by phone (0114 222 1300).