Information and tips on how to stay safe online.
Protecting your computer
- Secure your Wi-Fi using the encryption option.
- Do not open emails from people you don't know.
- Install anti-virus/anti-spyware software and a firewall.
- Keep your computer software, web browser and security up-to-date.
- Don't use obvious passwords e.g. birthdays. Use a mixture of numbers, symbols and upper and lower case letters and use different passwords for different sites.
- Keep your personal information hidden.
- Set security levels so that only your friends can view your profile.
- If someone sends you abusive message, save them and contact the forum administrator.
- Don't arrange to meet someone that you have only met online - some people might not be who they say they are.
If you or a friend have experienced online bullying or harassment, please visit the page below for information and support.
Online finance and shopping
- Look for "https://" and the padlock image to show that the site is secure.
- Use a secure payment option such as PayPal or a dedicated pre-pay credit card for all online purchases.
- Beware of sponsored links at the top or side of search pages. These are now always reliable and can be used by criminals.
- Remember, banks and financial institutions do not send emails asking you to verify your bank details by clicking on a link. Always check with your bank.
For more information about online safety, please visit the page below.
The following video, produced for the University's Safe Sheffield initiative, provides information about staying safe online.