Keeping Your Belongings Safe
Information and tips on how to keep your home and belongings safe and insure them against theft.
- Keep your house keys in your pocket.
- Don't leave your bag, wallet or purse unattended.
- Avoid displaying attractive items, such as jewellery, mobile phones and laptops.
- Beware of potential "Hugger-Muggers" who may steal your belongings by asking for a hug.
- Close all windows and lock all doors when you leave your property.
- Ensure all ground floor doors are locked, even when you are at home.
- Close the curtains in the evening so that passers-by can't see into your home.
- Let your housemates know you are leaving so they know if they are home alone.
- Always ask tradespeople for identification, don't let anyone in unless you know who they are.
- Be careful who you let in through communal doors and watch out for tailgaters who may follow you in.
- Secure removable parts.
- Take out insurance to cover your cycle.
- Always lock your bicycle to an immovable object, even when parked at home.
- Mark your cycle with Smart Water or a UV pen (free from SSiD) so it can be identified.
- You can get high quality discounted locks from the University Cycle Hut or SSiD.
To mitigate the repercussions of your property being stolen, you can:
- Register the serial numbers of your electrical goods with the free online database Immobilise.
- Record the IMEI number on your mobile phone, this is usually under the battery or on the side of the box your phone came in.
- Use UV pens (free from SSiD) or a Smart Water kit to mark your belongings with your postcode and house number so they are easily traceable back to you.
All University accommodation includes contents insurance provided by Endsleigh Insurance as part of the residence contract. You can check your cover on the page below.
You should arrange insurance yourself if you are living in private accommodation and insurance is not included in your rent.
If you are travelling to Sheffield from abroad, you should take out insurance for yourself and your luggage to cover your travel to Sheffield and the first week or two after arriving.
For more advice on keeping your property safe from thieves, please visit our Safe Sheffield page.