Safety Out and About
Sheffield is a very safe place to live, but it makes sense to take care when you are out and about.
There are a few simple things you can do to stay safe and avoid being a target of criminals.
- Avoid using your mobile phone, listening to music or doing anything that means you might be distracted from what is going on around you.
- Carry a Personal Alarm (available from the Student Sabbatical Officers located on Level 3 of the Students’ Union) and make sure it is accessible.
- Keep your house keys in your pocket and avoid displaying attractive items, such as jewellery, mobile phones and laptops.
- Never leave your bag, wallet or purse unattended.
- 5. Beware of “Hugger-Muggers”. These are criminal opportunists who have been know to operate in cities around the world and use distractions, like hugs, to put you off guard and then steal your belongings.