Information and tips to ensure your personal safety on and off-campus.
Safe Taxi scheme
If you don't have enough cash to get home, you can pay for your taxi later by using our Safe Taxi scheme.
- Phone City Taxis on 0114 239 3939
- Hand your UCard to the taxi driver.
- Come to the Students' Union Welcome Desk to pay your taxi fare and collect your UCard.
Most Ucards will be returned within 24 hours. In some cases, it may be up to 48.
Women's safety bus
A dedicated minibus for women runs seven nights a week during term-time.
The bus can transport you from outside the Students' Union building, Western Bank or the Information Commons directly to your door (max two miles from the SU) for £1.50.
The Students' Union provides free safety alarms for all students.
These can be collected from the Sabbatical Officers in the Sabbatical Office on Level 4 of the Union or the Student Advice Centre.
Sheffield is a safe place to live, but you can still take the following precautions to ensure your safety on the street.
- Walk facing the traffic.
- Carry a personal alarm.
- Walk in well-lit pathways.
- Never leave drinks unattended.
- Avoid using your mobile phone, listening to music or anything that will distract you from your surroundings.
- Be careful when crossing roads and tram tracks; do not walk in front of approaching vehicles or along tram tracks.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
- Keep all car doors locked when driving.
- Park in well-lit areas or supervised car parks.
- Ensure you have enough fuel for your journey.
- Keep valuables out of sight - don't put your handbag/wallet on the passenger seat when driving.
- Use lights in poor visibility.
- Wear protective headwear and bright/reflective colours.
- Don't ride up the inside of large vehicles where you might not be seen.
- Follow the Highway Code by observing 'Stop' and 'Give way' signs and traffic lights.
- Look and signal to show drivers what you plan to do and ensure they have seen you.
Please visit the page below for information on keeping your bike safe from thieves.
- Never get into an unlicensed taxi.
- Avoid using quiet or lonely bus or tram stops.
- Use black cabs or book a taxi home in advance.
- Sit as close to the bus driver or tram conductor as possible.