Dealing with Hate Crimes

The University of Sheffield has a zero tolerance policy towards hate crime.

What is hate crime?

A hate crime is any crime that is targeted at a person because of hostility or prejudice towards that person’s race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.

Hate crime isn’t just physical abuse or violence, and an incident can have a lasting effect on a person. Abuse, name calling, assault, blackmail, harassment, intimidation, bullying or exploitation are all forms of hate crime and must be reported.

Why should I report a hate crime?

It is very important that you let the University know if you have been a victim of hate crime, or if you have witnessed a hate crime take place. Through reporting, you can help us provide support to those who need it, and to understand where we need to focus our efforts when it comes to hate crime prevention. By reporting incidents of hate crime, you can help yourself and you may be able to prevent something similar happening to someone else.

How do I report a hate crime?

There are several ways that you can report a hate crime incident to the University.
In the first instance, we recommend that you report incidents of hate crime on campus to University Security. This is so the University has a full picture of the situation and can offer support to those affected. You can find the phone number for University Security on the back of your UCard.

Once a report has been made to University Security, they can then report it formally to the police. No action will be taken by the police unless the victim wishes them to do so.

If you prefer, you can report a hate crime directly to South Yorkshire Police, either online or by visiting your local police station.

I have been a victim of hate crime, where can I find support?

If you think you may have been a victim of hate crime, the University can provide you with support. If you visit us at the Student Services Information Desk (SSiD) on Level 3 of the Students’ Union, we can offer you advice, and point you in the direction of further support within Student Services if you feel that you may need it.

You can also speak to staff in the Student Advice Centre, a Students’ Union Officer, or someone in the Multi-Faith Chaplaincy if you prefer. If you feel unable to speak to any of these people or services for whatever reason, your personal tutor can also offer you support and help you decide what to do next.