Dealing with Housing Worries

Leaving home can be a big change for anyone.

You may be nervous about living independently for the first time, or about living with new people. This is perfectly normal and lots of students will be feeling the same way as you.

We hope the following information will help set your mind at ease.

I’m a first year student currently living in University accommodation - where can I find people to live with next year?

Many first year students continue to live with their current flatmates for their second year at university, usually in a privately rented shared house.

However, you shouldn’t feel pressured to live with your first-year flatmates for another year if you don’t think you’ll be happy doing so. Try asking friends from your course or from student groups/ societies that you’re a part of if they’re looking for a housemate instead. A great many students choose to live with different groups of people after first year, so you will not be alone.

I’ve sorted out a group of people to live with next year - how do we find a house?

Choosing a place to live is an important decision and one that shouldn’t be rushed. As a first year student particularly, you may feel pressured into picking a house for the next academic year very early. It is important to remember that there is an abundance of student housing in Sheffield, so take your time when house hunting and make sure you end up with the right house for you.

You can find lots of information on house hunting and renting in the private sector on the Students’ Union ‘Smart Move’ webpages.

Another option is to return to University accommodation. University residences are not only for first year students, you can live there during any year of your studies. You can find more information on the Accommodation and Commercial Services webpages.

I’m struggling to find somebody to live with, where can I find help with this?

If you’re struggling to find somebody to live with, Smart move can help. They have lots of accommodation available for individuals to apply to - you can use their online database to browse properties.

The Students’ Union Welfare Committee also run regular ‘housemate finder’ events for students looking for someone to live with. Follow them on Facebook for details of when the next event will take place.

I live in University accommodation and am struggling to pay my accommodation fees, what should I do?

If you are struggling to pay your accommodation fees you will need to visit the Income Office on Level 6 of the Students' Union building. If you cannot go to the office, please email or telephone 0114 2224868.

Who can I talk to about issues with private accommodation?

If you are living in private accommodation and are experiencing difficulties, the Student Advice Centre will be able to offer you information and support. They can advise you on anything from checking over a new contract to any issues you may be having.

I’m finding it hard to settle in my new accommodation, what can I do?

It can take a while to get used to moving into new accommodation. If you are having difficulty adapting to living with your new housemates, make sure you talk to someone. If you are living in University accommodation, try talking to your Residence Mentor about your options. If you’re living in private accommodation, you can speak to someone at the Student Advice Centre.

Due to extenuating and unavoidable circumstances, I am homeless. Where can I go for help?

You do not have to be living on the streets to be homeless. You could be homeless if you have no other option but to sleep on a friend’s sofa or in their spare room. If you are without accommodation, the University can help - get in touch with the Student Advice Centre and they can help talk you through your options.

If you are struggling with finances, please see our “Money worries” page, which has links to ways you can get support.

I’m worried about my housemate, what should I do?

If you’re worried about one of your housemates for whatever reason, you can find lots of information on what to do on our ‘Worried about another student?’ webpages.

If the information you are looking for is not included in our web pages and you aren't sure who to approach, please come to SSiD and we will try to point you in the right direction.