Managing Relationships

Relationships, whether with family, friends or a romantic partner, can be a great source of love and support. However, they can sometimes be difficult, and maybe even a source of grief or anguish if they go wrong.

If you are experiencing difficulties in a personal relationship, we hope the following information can help you.

I am studying overseas and missing my family back home, what can I do?

It can be difficult moving away from home, especially if you have moved to another country. Feelings of homesickness and culture shock are completely normal.

There are things you can do to help yourself feel more comfortable and happy if you are missing your family and friends back home. You can find lots of these suggestions on our webpages.

If after a few weeks you are still struggling to cope with homesickness, you may wish to contact a member of our Central Welfare and Guidance team by emailing

I am estranged from my parents/ family. Where can I get support?

Deciding to cut ties with a family member can be an extremely difficult and emotional thing to do. You may feel unable to talk about it openly with other people, which can be isolating.

The UK charity, StandAlone, provides support and information on estrangement and even offer opportunities for you to meet in support groups with others in a similar situation to you. You may also wish to contact the University Counselling Service, in order to explore the issues surrounding estrangement.

The Student Advice Centre can help sort out complications with Student Finance and help you apply for funding as an independent student. This will mean that only your own financial circumstances are taken into account, and not your parents.

You may also want to contact the Financial Support Team, to see if the University can provide you with additional funding to support you during your studies. You can email them, or alternatively you can phone 0114 222 1319.

Where can I find information on dealing with issues in my romantic relationship?

All relationships experience ups and downs - all couples will argue from time to time, and it is perfectly normal to have periods of disagreement with your partner. Talking things through and trying to work through your difference of opinion together is often the best solution.

However, there are some behaviours in a relationship that are not normal or acceptable. If your partner is violent towards you, or if they demonstrate behaviours that are emotionally abusive, the organisations listed on this webpage can help you access support.

I am a student parent, where can I find information about support?

Juggling studies with parenting responsibilities can be challenging. Although there are many student parents studying at Sheffield, it can often feel like an isolating experience.

If you are a student who has caring responsibilities for dependants under the age of 18, you can find lots of useful information on our ‘Students with children’ webpages

If you require childcare for whilst you are studying, the Students’ Union offers full dare care for students’ children aged between 6 months and 5 years old. Places are offered on a sessional basis and can be any combination of mornings, afternoons or full days. Find more information on the Students’ Union website.

The University also offers a range of accommodation for student families. Our Accommodation Team understands that bringing your family with you to study is a big decision and they will do all they can to offer advice and guidance. You can find more information about University accommodation on the Accommodation and Residence Life website.

I have recently learned that I am/ my partner is pregnant, where can I get advice and support?

Finding out that you or your partner is pregnant can be a life-changing situation. Whether you pregnancy is planned or unplanned, the University can offer you support - you can find more details of this support on our Student Pregnancy webpages

You may also be able to get additional financial support from the University during your pregnancy. You can contact the Financial Support Team on 0114 222 1319 or by emailing  for information and advice.

If you have decided that you don't want to continue with the pregnancy, the earlier you seek advice, the better. The British Pregnancy Advisory Service has information on abortion and your options. Marie Stopes International also offers advice and information, as can your GP.

I am worried about the welfare of another student, what should I do?

If you are worried about the emotional, mental or physical health of another student and you’re not sure what to do, please take a look at our “Worried about another student?” webpages. There is lots of advice about how you can help and who you can talk to at the University about getting your friend support.

I don’t want my parents to see my exam results, do I need to do anything?

There s nothing you need to do to stop your parents seeing your exam results. We cannot, by law, give any information about a student to a third party (including parents, spouses, siblings, etc.), without that student's express permission. This is applicable to both students currently studying with us and those applying to study with us in the future.

If the information you are looking for is not included in our web pages and you aren't sure who to approach, please come to SSiD and we will try to point you in the right direction.