Your Personal Wellbeing

During your time at University, you may experience personal problems which impact upon your physical, psychological or emotional wellbeing. You may want to speak to a professional about what is happening, or simply find out some facts.

We hope the following information will help answer some of the more common questions you may have around health and wellbeing.

I am experiencing harassment and/or bullying, where can I get advice?

The University is committed to providing a safe and welcoming space for our students - bullying and harassment are not tolerated in our community. We’ve outlined the support you can receive from the University if you are dealing with harassment or bullying, as well as details of how to report it to us, on our bullying and harassment webpages.

I am worried about my drug and/or alcohol use, where can I get support?

You can get lots of information about issues surrounding drugs and alcohol on our webpages.

I am worried about my mental health, what can I do?

If you need immediate support, contact your GP or the University Health Service as soon as possible. You can also contact our Central Welfare and Guidance Team 0114 222 4321 or by emailing More information for what to do if you are in crisis can be found on this webpage:

If you are worried about your mental health and need support, you can consult our mental health webpages for specialised advice and information. These pages can help you find exactly the person or organisation you need to speak to, whatever mental health difficulties you are dealing with.

If it’s outside of University opening hours and you need someone to talk to, you can call Nightline anytime between 8pm and 8am any night in term time. Nightline is a confidential and anonymous listening service run by trained student volunteers. They are non-directive, do not judge anyone and are happy to listen to any and all issues you might be facing. Details of how to contact Nightline are available on their website.

I am worried about my physical health, what can I do?

If you are feeling unwell or are worried about your physical health in any way, there are a range of services that can help. For minor ailments such as cold, flu, sore throats etc, you can refer to the self care section of the NHS Choices website [link:], or alternatively seek advice from your local pharmacy. For other more serious health concerns you should contact your GP practice.

If you don’t know where to go for advice about your health, please refer to the leaflet on the University Health Service website:

I am struggling with insomnia, how can I help myself to sleep better?

There are lots of reasons that might be making it difficult for you to sleep; one of the most common causes is feeling stressed or overwhelmed during the day. Watch this short video from the University Counselling Service for advice on how to create a bedtime routine that’s conducive to getting a good night’s sleep:

If your inability to sleep is seriously impacting your daily life and health, you should speak to your GP. You can also find more advice on coping with insomnia on the NHS website.

I am worried about my eating habits, what should I do?

It is extremely common for both men and women to be unhappy with their body size and image in some way. Many people will try and alter their physical appearance through diet and exercise at some point in their life.

At lot of the time, this is no cause for concern, however there are some eating and exercise patterns that can be damaging to your physical and emotional health. If you are concerned about your eating habits and think you may be suffering from an eating disorder, please see our eating disorder webpages for information about the support available to you.

Where can I find more information on issues of sexual and gender identity?

Dealing with personal sexuality and gender issues can be difficult. If you find yourself worried about anything to do with sexual or gender issues, whether that’s coming out, mental or sexual health, or if you just need someone to chat to, there is support available to you at the University.

The LGBT+ Committee at the Students Union can offer you advice, support or just a friendly listening ear. As well as providing a range of welfare services themselves, they can put you in touch with other services in Sheffield that can offer you support. They also run regular social events and the LGBT+ lounge, a relaxing support space in the Students’ Union that LGBT+ students can access at all times during SU opening hours.

You can find more information about the support available at Sheffield for LGBT+ students on our webpages. If you have any further questions, or if you need support and aren’t sure who to speak to, you can email

If worries about personal sexual or gender identity are affecting your mental health, you may find it helpful to speak to someone at the University Counselling Service

Finally, remember that your sexual or gender identity is your business - it is up to you who you wish to talk to about it and others should be respectful of this. The University of Sheffield prides itself on being a welcoming and supportive environment to students of all sexual identities and genders, and the Students’ Union is active in providing support to all out LGBT+ students and in challenging homophobic and transphobic attitudes. If anyone is making you feel bullied or harassed because of your sexual or gender identity, there is more support information available on our webpages.

I have experienced a traumatic event, where can I get support? A traumatic event is defined as any extreme or abnormal circumstance that could cause a traumatic reaction. Examples of traumatic events include natural disasters, wars and death (actual or threatened) but can also include any of the following:
  • car accidents
  • assaults of any kind (physical, sexual or psychological)
  • serious illness, either yourself or a loved one
  • being threatened with harm
  • being witness to an event that caused someone harm
  • having had a "near miss" or being almost involved in any of these type of events
  • being reminded of any traumatic personal experiences that you may have experience in the past.

If you have experienced a traumatic event and find that is impacting your studies, you may wish to get in touch with the University Counselling Service  for help coming to terms with what has happened. You may also wish to speak to your Personal Tutor, as they will be able to put into place extra measures to ensure your studies are not affected. Remember, your responses are completely normal; give yourself permission to do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself.

If you have been a victim of sexual abuse at any tme in your life, whether as an isolated or recurrent event, the University Counselling Service can offer you support. You can also contact the Sheffield Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre for free and confidential support.

Where can I find information about faith issues and issues of cultural identity?

Our Multifaith Chaplaincy offers care and support to people of all faiths and none. They can also offer guidance on all religious activities on campus, including on issues of accommodation, diet, dress and absence for religious observance.

Where can I find more information on the University’s Fitness to Study policy?

Please see our ‘Fitness to Study’ webpages for full details on the University's Fitness to Study policy.

If the information you are looking for is not included in our web pages and you aren't sure who to approach, please come to SSiD and we will try to point you in the right direction.