Student Pregnancy

This page offers information, support and advice for students who are pregnant.

pregnancy banner

First steps

Where you think you may be pregnant you can seek confidential medical advice from the University Health Service or your own GP.

You are encouraged to inform your academic department who can provide you with assistance and support.

If you do not want to speak to your academic department, you can contact Kathryn Axon in Central Welfare and Guidance:

Alternatively, you can contact the Women’s Officer on Level 4 in the Students’ Union.

University support

Your academic department will work with you to put together a personalised Pregnancy and Maternity Support Plan, which will consider your academic requirements and personal needs.

Pregnancy and Maternity Support Plan Template (PDF 166KB)

An assessment will be undertaken to identify any potential risks associated with your programme of study. This is important where you handle or are exposed to any chemicals or radiation as part of your course.

It is important that you meet regularly with your personal tutor or supervisor who can offer support and discuss any adjustments you may need.

You can also seek advice from the following University support services:

Maternity leave

  • You are entitled to take up to 52 weeks of maternity leave in total.
  • You are required to take a minimum of two weeks compulsory Maternity Leave immediately following the birth of your child.
  • You can start your maternity leave at any time starting from 11 weeks before the week of your due date up to the day of childbirth.
  • You should discuss any leave you wish to take with your academic department or appropriate staff in Student Support and Guidance.

Financial support

Where you are a home student, you may be eligible for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) or Maternity Allowance (MA), for more information please visit the page below.

Where you are an undergraduate student and you receive funding from Student Finance England (or equivalent funding body), your financial support may stop when you begin maternity leave.

For further advice on your financial support options, please contact the Students Advice Centre.

Postgraduate research students

Where you are a postgraduate research student and you do not have access to Statutory Maternity Pay, you may be eligible for a one-off support payment from the University. Please contact the relevant faculty administrator for more information.

If you receive a postgraduate research scholarship, you will be entitled to a payment during a period of maternity leave. Please contact the PGR Scholarships Team in Research Services for more information.

International students

If you receive funding for your studies from a financial sponsor, you must contact your sponsor if you choose to take maternity leave.

If you are in the UK on a student visa and you require a Leave of Absence due to pregnancy, you and any dependents may need to leave the UK and apply for a new visa.

For more immigration information, please visit the page below.

Returning to University

You will agree on a scheduled return date from maternity leave within your Support Plan and Maternity Leave Agreement.

Undergraduate and PGT students: you will be contacted prior to your scheduled return by a member of Student Support and Guidance.

PGR students: you must contact the University when you intend to return.

Funded PGR students: you will need to contact Research Services to ensure your funding is re-started.

External support

The following external organisations can also offer support and guidance:

Student Pregnancy and Maternity Policy

Student Pregnancy and Maternity Policy (PDF 150KB)