Supporting You

It's all about you

We are committed to supporting students from a care background. If you are a care leaver and you are considering coming to the University of Sheffield or are already studying here you can expect:

  • A dedicated Care Leaver contact who can offer tailored, individual and sustained support throughout your time here.
  • A Care Leavers’ non-repayable bursary.
  • Help in accessing financial assistance, guidance and support.
  • A guaranteed place in University accommodation.

We aim to offer our support to students who were previously considered to be Care Leavers by their own Local Authority. We will also consider support for those who have been looked after by someone other than their parents.

Each application for Care Leaver support will be considered in confidence on an individual basis by our designated support staff in the Student Services Department.

Care Leaver contacts

Kathryn Axon is the University's dedicated Care Leaver contact. Her role is to:

  • Provide sustained support and impartial advice throughout your time at University.
  • To act as a link between your local authority, you and the University.
  • Help you access support from services available across the University.
  • Be YOUR personal support contact

If you need to discuss the support that is available to you, want to find out about life at the University of Sheffield or just want to have a chat then please get in touch with Kathryn at:

email :

Tel: 0114 222 1378

The Student Transitions & Support Team
Student Services, Level 6

Students' Union Building