University Bursary for Student Carers
This page outlines the University of Sheffield Bursary for students with caring responsibilities and how to apply.
This award is instead of the Sheffield Bursary Scheme. This money is yours to keep, you do not have to repay it and it won't affect your student finance.
You must meet the eligibility criteria of Student Finance England (or equivalent funding body) to be assessed.
You can choose to use your bursary to:
- reduce your tuition fee cost; or
- as a direct payment into your bank account to help with study costs
The year you started your course will determine which bursary scheme you are eligible for. Bursaries cannot be backdated for previous years.
Click on your year of entry below for more information.
Further information for each year of entry is available from our bursary pages.
Where you started/are due to start your course between September 2016 and September 2019 the bursary award available per level of study is:
Where you started your course in September 2015, the bursary award available per level of study is:
In addition to fees and study costs, you can also use your bursary as a payment towards your University accommodation.
Where you started your course between September 2012 and September 2014, the bursary award per level of study is:
If you are studying a postgraduate course you are eligible to apply for support with study costs.
If you are studying by distance learning and facing financial difficulties, you will not be eligible for a bursary. We recommend applying for financial support.
Where you studied your undergraduate degree with us and you received the Carer’s Bursary, you do not need to provide any additional evidence.
For alternative sources of postgraduate funding, please visit the page below.
How to apply
1. Please inform us of your caring responsibilities by completing the form below.
2. You must provide supporting evidence to confirm your status as a recognised carer of your relative on headed paper (e.g. a copy of your Department for Work and Pensions Allowance statement/letter or evidence detailing your role in the care of your relative) from one of the following sources:
- Carer's Support Group
- Social Services / Local Authority
- Your NHS or Private Support Worker
3. Please email your evidence to the Financial Support Team.
If you require any further guidance please contact the Financial Support Team.
Terms and conditions
- Exact payment dates will be confirmed in your bursary confirmation email.
- Your bursary does not need to be repaid and will not affect your student finance.
- You can choose to use your bursary award to reduce your tuition fee cost or as a direct payment into your bank account to help with your study costs.
- If you withdraw from your course, you may have to repay a percentage of your bursary that you received in that academic year. Please contact the Financial Support Team for guidance.
- Where you take a leave of absence during the year, you will not be eligible to receive any further instalments due to be paid.
- Bursaries must be assessed and paid within the academic year and cannot be backdated for previous years.
- If you have been awarded the Sheffield Postgraduate Scholarship you cannot apply for this support.