Personal Support

Caring can be rewarding but it can also be very tiring, placing demands on your physical health and emotional energy. As a carer you need to be as healthy as possible. When you are simply coping day to day and responding to the needs of others, it's easy to forget your own health needs, therefore it's important to remember to look after yourself as well those you are caring for.

University Support

The University offers lots of support for students struggling with emotional or personal issues. The University Counselling Service offers a safe, non-judgemental environment for you to talk to a professional about what you are going through. They also provide a range of guides and information sheets on issues including, stress, sleep problems and concentration. You can also access this information online at

Support outside of the University

By law, anyone who 'regularly provides a substantial amount of care' is entitled to an assessment of their needs. The assessment will help you find out how you can balance your own health and wellbeing with your role as a carer. You may want to contact the social services department for the area in which the person you're caring for lives, and set up a meeting. The assessor will help you to identify what support you need and how you can access it. You may be eligible for respite care; membership of carers support groups; or access to a Carer's Emergency Scheme.

For more information about the help and support available in Sheffield visit:

Nationally, there are several big organisations campaigning for a better life for carers, supporting them and raising awareness, these include: