Information about your student UCard and how to request an extension or a replacement if it's damaged, lost or stolen.
Your UCard allows you to:
- access and borrow from the library
- obtain discounted prices at Sport Sheffield
- prove your identity for all University services and exams
- access the Students' Union building and become a member
- use the photocopying and printing services for a small charge
- access other buildings (please contact the Estates department)
You must bring your UCard with you to every exam and it must be visible on your desk throughout the duration.
You must not:
- lend your UCard to someone else
- use a UCard that doesn't belong to you
Please refer to the information on UCard misuse.
Getting your UCard
New students commencing studies prior to August 2021
Once you have completed your registration online and uploaded a photograph, please contact the Student Administration Service for further information about your UCard.
Please visit the page below to determine whether your registration status makes you eligible for a UCard.
If you have lost or damaged your blue UCard, you can order a replacement for £7 (including postage & packaging) using the link below:
If you find your UCard after ordering a replacement please contact SSiD online as soon as possible.
If your UCard is not blue, please contact IT Services on the email below.
Expiry and extension
The expiry date on your UCard is your course end date.
If your course end date changes, we can update your UCard remotely for free. You will then continue to have access to online resources.
Please contact SSiD online to arrange your UCard extension, notifying us of your address, and we will post your card to you.
You can still access some University services and benefits as an alumnus once your UCard has expired. For more details, visit:
Leave of absence and external students
If your UCard expires during a leave of absence or while you are registered as an external student, IT Services can extend your UCard remotely to reflect the new course end date on your student record. You will then continue to have access to online resources.
Please contact SSiD online to arrange your UCard extension.
Postgraduate research students
If you've submitted your thesis and your UCard has expired, you will be eligible for a 3 month UCard extension.
Once you have submitted your thesis, please contact SSiD to arrange your UCard extension.
If your Viva does not take place within 3 months of submission, please contact SSiD and we will look into providing you with a further UCard extension.
If your registration status is ‘To Resubmit’ and your end of studies date has been updated, we can extend your Ucard until your expected resubmission date.
Your UCard will be confiscated and you may face disciplinary action if you:
- lend your UCard to anybody else
- attempt to use a deactivated UCard
- use a UCard that does not belong to you
- attempt to use an expired Ucard to gain access to University buildings and social events
- attempt to use an expired Ucard to obtain student discount on local transport services, or other goods and services
Visit the page below to view up to date student feedback on UCards.