This page provides information about your student UCard and how to request a replacement where it is damaged, lost or stolen.
- Obtaining your UCard
- Lost, stolen and replacement UCards
- Expiry and extension
- See also
Your UCard allows you to:
- access and borrow from the library
- obtain discounted prices at Sport Sheffield
- prove your identity for all University services and exams
- access the Students' Union building and become a member
- use the photocopying and printing services for a small charge
- access other buildings (please contact the Estates department)
You must bring your UCard with you to every exam and it must be visible on your desk throughout the duration.
You must not:
- lend your UCard to someone else
- use a UCard that doesn't belong to you
Please refer to the information on UCard misuse.
Obtaining your UCard
Please visit the page below to determine whether your registration status makes you eligible for a UCard.
If you have completed your online pre-registration and uploaded a photograph, your UCard will be ready to collect at your registration event.
If you cannot attend your registration event, you can obtain your UCard from SSiD once you have registered. Please bring your Registration Statement and a form of ID.
Free UCard holders are available for medical students at SSiD.
Lost, stolen and replacement UCards
If your UCard is lost, stolen or damaged, please inform SSiD who will re-issue you with a replacement. Your old card will then be deactivated or retained.
We will issue you a replacement for free if your card has been stolen. If you reported the theft, please bring your crime reference number.
If you find a UCard please hand it in to SSiD or the Students’ Union Welcome Desk.
Apply for replacement UCard
SSiD only provide replacement blue UCards. You can request this online for £7 or in person for £5.
If your UCard is not blue, please contact CiCS on the email below.
You may be eligible for a free replacement where:
- your name has changed
- you have changed department
- the card is faulty or badly printed
- your dates of study have changed
- your appearance has significantly changed
- the card is worn or damaged through reasonable wear and tear
- the card has been stolen (you must provide a crime reference number on Police letter headed paper)
If you are eligible, you must order your replacement in person from SSiD.
You must not:
- lend your UCard to anybody else
- attempt to use a deactivated UCard
- use a UCard that does not belong to you
- attempt to use an expired Ucard to gain access to University buildings and social events
- attempt to use an expired Ucard to obtain student discount on local transport services, or other goods and services
If you try any of the above, your UCard will be confiscated and you may face disciplinary action.
Expiry and extension
The expiry date on your UCard is your course end date.
If your course end date changes SSiD can update and re-issue your UCard for free.
You can still access some University services and benefits as an alumnus once your UCard has expired and you have finished your course. Please visit the pages below for more details.
Leave of absence and external students
If your UCard expires during a leave of absence or while you are registered as an external student, SSiD can extend your UCard to reflect the new course end date on your student record.
Postgraduate research students
If you have submitted your thesis and your UCard has expired, you will be eligible for 2-3 months extension at a time.
If you require an extension please bring your thesis submission receipt to SSiD or CiCs.
Where you require a second extension, you must obtain a Certificate of Student Status from SSiD to confirm your ongoing registration status of SU (Submitted).
If your registration status is ‘To Resubmit’ and your end of studies date has been updated, you can obtain a replacement UCard from SSiD.
Please email us for any further queries.
Visit the page below to view up to date student feedback on UCards.