Disability Awareness Training
The aims of this session are to:
- Develop a greater understanding of the definition of disability
- Help you recognise and overcome any assumptions you may have about disabled people and examine attitudes towards disability
- Promote a greater awareness of the effects of language and inclusive language in society
- Provide guidance on a variety of disabilities to enable you to understand how this impacts on a person’s day-to-day life
- Help you identify the potential barriers of disabled learners in higher education
Most people have limited or no experience of working with or being in contact with people with disabilities. Their beliefs and attitudes regarding disability may have been informed by negative perceptions or incorrect assumptions.
This course aims to help people expand their understanding of disability and to challenge attitudes to disabled people as well as identifying potential barriers to disabled student's learning
Format: The workshop will combine a combination of presentation and group activities.
Audience: All academic and support service staff working with and supporting disabled students
Length: 2 hours
- Monday 02 November 2020, 14.00-16.00