Chancellor's Medal 2020 - extended deadline
We have extended the deadline for nominations for the 2020 Chancellor's Medal, which previously expired on Friday 27 March. The new deadline will be Friday 7 August 2020.
Thank you to all those who have previously submitted nominations. These cases will still be considered for the prize, and you do not need to do anything further.
Final year undergraduates, postgraduates completing their programme of study/research and recent graduates of the University are eligible to be considered for this award, which is made in recognition of the outstanding attainment of an individual student in academic, sporting or other personal achievements.
The award was funded by the University's sixth Chancellor, Lord Dainton of Hallam Moors, who held office from 1978-1997. Cast in silver to an original design by Lord Dainton, it is presented to the recipient at a Degree Congregation.
All members of the University are invited to consider making a nomination for the award. Previous winners include:
- School of Health and Related Research student who undertook the extraordinary work on humanitarian grounds before and after the earthquake in Nepal in April 2015, a country with which the University has strong links
- a student in the School of Clinical Dentistry, in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the University of Sheffield and to the wider community of Sheffield promoting widening participation, supporting others towards a career in Dentistry and raising awareness of mouth cancer
- a Biology student who made outstanding achievements with regards to her University experience and academic success whilst forging an incredibly successful career in the field of international trampolining
- an Occupational Psychology student in recognition of her outstanding achievements with regards to empowering and improving the local and global community
- a Politics student who worked as an advocate for citizenship education and civic participation in governmental, higher education and parliamentary circles.
Submit a nomination
A nomination form (WORD, 25.1KB) should be completed which includes an outline of how the student meets the criteria and a supporting statement demonstrating the reasons for the nomination. Any supporting evidence that may be useful in considering the nomination is also gratefully received.
Nominations must be submitted to Wendy Gautrey, Student Administration Service, Level 6, Students' Union, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TG (email firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 0114 2221301) by the closing date of Friday 7 August 2020.
A final decision on the award will be made by the President and Vice-Chancellor, on behalf of the Chancellor, on recommendation from the Vice-Presidents and Heads of Faculty.