Hate crime: don’t tolerate it

As part of our Crime Reduction and Safety Fortnight we want to raise awareness of how to identify and report hate crime, and the support on offer. We also want to make sure you know what to do if a student comes to you and to encourage students not to be fearful of reporting an incident. 

A hate crime is any crime that is targeted at a person because of hostility or prejudice towards that person’s race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. This can include abuse, name calling, assault, blackmail, harassment, intimidation, bullying or exploitation.

We have a zero tolerance policy towards hate crime and ask that all forms of this crime be reported. By reporting incidents you can help us provide support to those who need it, and to understand where we need to focus our efforts when it comes to prevention.

How do I report a hate crime on campus?

  • If you have been a victim of hate crime or have witnessed a hate crime take place it is important to let us know. This information is also applicable to students.
  • In the first instance we recommended reporting to Security Services. Call us on 0114 2224085.
  • Once a report has been made to Security Services, we can then report it formally to the police. No action will be taken by the police unless the victim wishes them to do so.
  • The Student Advice Centre is an official hate crime reporting centre. You can report a crime in person by visiting them on Level 3 of the Students’ Union, or calling them on 0114 2228660. You can also email: advice@sheffield.ac.uk
  • If you prefer, you can report a hate crime directly to South Yorkshire Police, either online or by visiting your local police station.

Where can students find support?

  • It is important that students know that Security Services and other supporting departments are here to provide advice, guidance and support.
  • The Student Services Information Desk (SSiD) on Level 3 of the Students’ Union can offer students advice, and point them in the direction of further support within Student Services. Students can also speak to staff in the Student Advice Centre, a Students’ Union Officer, or someone in the Multi-Faith Chaplaincy
  • If a student feels unable to speak to any of these people for whatever reason we advise that they speak to their personal tutor for help in deciding what to do next.

Where can I find support?