How do I support my member of Staff?
How do I support my member of staff through pregnancy and maternity leave?
Before maternity leave
- Carry out a risk assessment to ensure it is safe for her to carry out her duties
- Be sympathetic of medical appointments and plan together in advance so they do not conflict with important events
- Be mindful of the fact that she may suffer from high levels of fatigue - discuss how the workload can be handled
- If the employee is absent from work during the pregnancy due to ill health, she will be entitled to contractual sick pay
- Discuss the dates and duration of the maternity leave
- Decide on when and how many keeping in touch days there will be
- Discuss how the the employees workload will be covered during her maternity leave
- You may need to speak to the funding body and/or Research Finance to discuss funding requirements
- Plan with your employee what will happen on her return
During maternity leave
- Make sure the KIT days are being utilised
- Keep your employee up to date with any departmental news or work that may affect them on their return
- Make sure the employee is happy with her re-induction programme
- Reconfirm with her the date she will return to work
Returning from maternity leave
- Welcome your employee back into the department, both formally and informally#
- Give her time to re-familiarise with her duties and work
- Be flexible and seek to understand childcare responsibilities
- Be considerate and mindful of the fact that she may still be breast feeding - find out what you can do to support this.
- Keep clear and open lines of communication