Support and guidance from IT Services, including accessing the VPN, holding virtual meetings and requesting equipment.
We encourage you to read the guidance on working remotely from home or off campus on our IT Services web pages to help you work from home safely and securely. Here, you will find information on how to access University services from off-campus, including using the VPN.
For any IT related questions, you can call the IT Service Desk on 0114 222 1111 between the hours of 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
Click here for updates, changes and new releases for Google Apps, including Google Meet and Google Drive
Requesting IT equipment
If you have particular information technology requirements which support you in continuing to work from home, especially for larger or more expensive items such as computers, please discuss this with your line manager, who must confirm any IT purchases prior to raising any orders with their IT Services Business Relationship Manager.
This can be done by completing the Essential IT Request Form, which can be accessed through the IT Services Desk Portal in Muse. Where equipment is procured or loaned this will be delivered to your address. If you have any questions please contact for IT Services staff at email@example.com
Having effective meetings from home
Virtual meetings can be a really useful tool to bring people together across multiple locations to update on important topics, share ideas, and work together on projects. Here are some tips to help you run effective virtual meetings using Google Hangouts and Meet:
- Plan your virtual meetings just like you would any other meeting.
- Have a meeting chair or facilitator— often, but not always, the person who called the meeting
- The meeting chair or facilitator should set out some ground rules for use of audio and/or video
Making team conversations easier
One of the most important things to keep going when working remotely is the day-to-day conversations we have outside of meetings. To help us keep these conversations going, we now have Google Chat, here are some tips to help you get started:
- Create a room for your team to have day-to-day discussions and conversations
- Don’t just talk about work, but make space for non-work chat as well
- Have Chat open whenever possible to keep in touch easier
- But don’t forget to turn it off sometimes to let yourself focus on tasks