Nominations for the Chancellor's Medal 2020 are now open
Final year undergraduates, postgraduates completing their programme of study/research and recent graduates of the University are eligible to be considered for this award, which is made in recognition of the outstanding attainment of an individual student in academic, sporting or other personal achievements.
The award was funded by the University’s sixth Chancellor, Lord Dainton of Hallam Moors, who held office from 1978 - 1997. The medal is cast in silver to an original design by Lord Dainton and is presented to the recipient at a degree congregation.
Previous winners include:
- A School of Health and Related Research student who undertook the extraordinary work on humanitarian grounds before and after the earthquake in Nepal in April 2015, a country with which the University has strong links
- A student in the School of Clinical Dentistry, in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the University of Sheffield and to the wider community of Sheffield promoting widening participation, supporting others towards a career in Dentistry and raising awareness of mouth cancer
- A Biology student who made outstanding achievements with regards to her University experience and academic success whilst forging an incredibly successful career in the field of international trampolining
- An Occupational Psychology student in recognition of her outstanding achievements with regards to empowering and improving the local and global community
- A Politics student who worked as an advocate for citizenship education and civic participation in governmental, higher education and parliamentary circles.
A nomination form should be completed (available to download to the right of this page) which includes an outline how the student meets the criteria and a supporting statement demonstrating the reasons for the nomination.
Nominations must be submitted to Wendy Gautrey, Student Administration Service, Level 6, Students’ Union, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TG (email firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 0114 2221301) by the closing date of 27 March 2020.
A final decision on the award will be made by the President and Vice Chancellor, on behalf of the Chancellor, on recommendation from the Vice-Presidents and Heads of Faculty.