Moving out of your student house? Remember to collect your red sacks!

Sheffield StreetIf you’re moving out of your student accommodation this summer, you can make disposing of extra rubbish easier by collecting red sacks from your Students’ Union.

Red sacks are for rubbish that won’t fit in your black bin – they’re collected from your street and make it easier for you to dispose of all the extra unwanted stuff that always emerges when moving out of a student house.

Students in private rented accommodation can get two red sacks per person. You can collect them from propertywithUS or the Student Advice Centre in the Students' Union until Friday 27 June.

Full red sacks must be left alongside your black bin on its normal scheduled collection day between 9 June and 4 July. Students living on certain roads will also be able to leave their red sacks next to their blue recycling bin on its scheduled collection day (to find if your street is eligible for this, pick up a Moving Out leaflet from the Students’ Union).

Please note that red sacks are only for extra waste and not for recyclable materials or anything that could be donated to charity. If you do have unwanted items that you think would be suitable for charity, official British Heart Foundation bags will also be available when you collect your red sacks. Charity bags will not be collected from your street, but you can take them to any of the collection points marked on the Moving Out leaflet (which you can pick up from the Students’ Union).

Between 19 May and 25 July, the University of Sheffield will also be running their Bring It Don’t Bin It scheme through which you can donate your unwanted textiles, clothing, kitchenware, household items and bric-a-brac. You can collect clear bags from the receptions at the Edge, the Ridge, Opal 2 and Sheffield 3 - please see the Moving Out leaflet for more information on how to separate and bag your items, and where to bring your bags when full.

If you’ve got any questions about moving in and out of your accommodation, you can contact the Student Advice Centre by calling 0114 2228660, emailing or dropping into their office in the Students’ Union. Alternatively, you can email the propertywithUS team on