Discover social enterprise and unlock your own enterprise potential with USE
University of Sheffield Enterprise (USE) are running two exciting series of events this semester to help you unlock your enterprise potential. Whether you're interested in starting a social enterprise, learning about events management or discovering the entrepreneurial basics, we've got something for you.
The Social Innovation Lab
Lots of students come to the University of Sheffield Enterprise with community ideas; these can range from running skills workshops, rejuvenating derelict buildings in Sheffield or empowering homeless men through giving them economic opportunity. All these ideas are perfect for establishing a social enterprise so we have designed a programme to support any community focused ideas you may have.
The Social Innovation Lab is an opportunity to find out more about social enterprise and get involved in developing ideas that will change you, your community and the world!
The lab starts on the 20th October 2014 and runs over just five workshops in the evenings so it won’t clash with your studies. The lab is designed to give you a sound introduction to social innovation. The dates are:
- Registration Closes: Friday 17th October, 5pm.
- Session 1 – Introduction: Monday 20th October, 5.15-8pm.
- Session 2 – Idea Development: Monday 27th October, 5.15-8pm.
- Session 3 – Business Planning: Monday 3rd November, 5.15-8pm.
- Session 4 – Measuring Social Impact: Monday 10th November, 5.15-8pm.
- Session 5 - Pitching Evening & Celebration Event: Monday 17th November, 5.15-8pm.
But what’s in it for you?
Social awareness in today’s world is the only way that we can continue to develop. To quote Ghandi, we encourage everyone to “be the change you wish to see in the world” and the lab is designed to support you in developing your social awareness.
- An opportunity to develop ideas that could change your community, change people’s lives and change the world.
- Enhance your CV to make it really stand out in the current employment market.
- Develop social, community and global awareness.
- Meet and work with like minded people.
- Celebratory pitching event with prizes and food.
- Counts towards Sheffield Graduate Award and HEAR.
For more information and to register for the lab please vist the USE website.
Please note that places are limited so if you have an idea or a passion for social enterprise then you should sign up before the lab becomes full.
Skill Build is a series of free lectures and workshops which can help you make your ideas happen. This semester, we are concentrating on developing your employability skills, ready for when you graduate.
The course is centred on the Project Canvas (don’t worry if you don’t know what that is - we will cover it in our sessions) and will give you loads of advice on how to get a project or event off the ground.
These sessions take place every Thursday between 6.15-7.30pm in St George’s Lecture Theatre. They are open to students, graduates, staff, and members of the public. If you are a student at The University of Sheffield, you can use your attendance at Skill Build, plus the completion and submission of a short assignment, to count towards your Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR) and/or Sheffield Graduate Award.
Skill Build Sessions will take place on the following dates:
- 16th October: Welcome to Skill Build
- 23rd October: Team Formation
- 30th October: Goal Setting
- 6th November: Users and Benefits
- 13th November: Events Management 1
- 20th November: Events Management 2
For more information and to register for sessions, visit the USE website.