Travelling abroad

There are various things to think about when planning for your time abroad, details on some of the key areas are detailed below. 


University of Sheffield Travel Insurance 

All students that complete a travel insurance form are covered by the University’s travel insurance when they are being sent abroad by the University for a study exchange, work or teaching placement or a summer school period. Travel and personal accident cover is available for study related travel which involves an overnight stay, a flight or rail travel.

The policy covers student exchanges and placements that last up to 12 months.

Personal travel can be covered for up to 2 weeks beyond the end of the exchange/placement so long as it takes place within the same country and is within a 12 month duration. The additional time must be included within the start and end dates when registering for the policy.

Please note there is a £250 policy excess for:

  • Medical & emergency travel expenses
  • Baggage (this does not include mobile phones, please see below)
  • Money & Credit Cards

There is also a £100 policy excess for cancellation and change of itinerary.

Mobile phones

Please ensure that your personal mobile phone is insured for loss, theft or accidental damage by alternative means. Check with your property or mobile phone insurers if you have cover for them overseas on business or as part of studies.

Travel delay

If you booked a flight that departed from Europe or was with a European airline, you might have rights under EU law if your flight is delayed or cancelled.

For the EU law to apply, you'll need to have departed from the UK, European Union (EU), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

If this doesn’t apply to you please contact your airline directly to check if you are entitled to any compensation.

Before you go abroad

Before you go abroad, you must complete a short online form for insurance to be in place, providing details of the country/countries you are planning to visit and the dates of your stay. Once completed, you will then be able to download your insurance certificate to print off and take with you.

The form can be accessed through the insurance web pages, and guidance on how to complete the form is here.

The insurance web pages also include information on the cover provided and details of any excesses in the event of a claim. Note that the cost of routine GP appointments (if applicable in your host country) is not covered in the policy. This policy covers emergency medical expenses only, it is not a health insurance.

You must keep a note of the emergency number below and carry it with you at all times. They will be able to provide advice in the event of an incident while you are abroad. You could also download the RSA travel app as advised on the travel insurance webpages.

Policy number: RKK699045 (Royal Sun Alliance)
Helpline: +44 (0) 20 8763 3155 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)

There is no charge for University travel insurance outlined above.

Please note: Some host universities require you to take out their own insurance policy or one which is offered at national level. Some universities will allow their policy to be waived if you can prove that you have sufficient cover but this is not guaranteed. Check that any policy that you are required to take out by a host university provides sufficient cover for all aspects and always take out University of Sheffield's insurance in addition.

Travel arrangements

You are responsible for making your own travel arrangements.  As soon as you know for sure when you are required to arrive, you should make your booking.  Always check with the university or organisation the actual date that you are supposed to be there by.

Some general advice...

  • Please read the host university’s pre-departure advice, which is usually sent by email, available on their website or in a downloadable guide.

  • Find out if other Sheffield students are going to the same destination and if possible, contact them as early as possible to make joint arrangements.

  • Try to arrive during business hours so that staff might be available

  • Download the address of your accommodation and some directions or a map, and ensure you have a printed copy of these too. Remember you may not be able to access the internet immediately upon landing and your phone battery may run out!

  • Find out if there is a “meet and greet” service that you can use

  • If you have pre-arranged your accommodation, make sure that you know exactly when and where to collect the keys. Again a map or printed letter may be useful.

  • Can’t carry everything you want to take? Make enquiries with your travel agent about sending unaccompanied luggage (which can be costly) or check whether supplies are available locally. Can you order an accommodation starter pack?

  • An International Student Travel Card can help you get cheap flights/train fares (and can also be used as photo ID).

Back to Accepted on to Study Abroad