2021 SURE Scheme
We are now accepting applications for SURE 2021. You can find the Application forms and Guidance in the right hand bar of this page. More information about applying to the scheme is below.
Application deadline: 12pm Tuesday 23 March 2021
Project applications with any element of in-person activity (such as lab or other non desk-based work) will need to include full details of how the project could be altered to be conducted online, should circumstances require this.
Applying for SURE
- Both Supervisor and Student must be named at application (not retrospectively recruited)
- Only one SURE application will be considered per student or member of staff. Please do not submit multiple applications.
- Must be a University of Sheffield student in their penultimate year of undergraduate study, although those on a 4 year course may apply in their 2nd or 3rd year.
Please note: Scholarships cannot be provided to first year or final year students.
- Cannot have participated in SURE previously. Students may undertake SURE only once during their time at University.
Please note: Students are welcome to re-apply if their previous application has been unsuccessful and if they are still eligible.
- Must be available over the first 6 weeks of the summer vacation period - though there is some flexibility on start/end dates.
- Must have a keen interest in the subject of their choice.
Successful SURE students are awarded a bursary for their projects. Bursaries are awarded based upon the standard rate of up to a maximum of £1,250 for a six-week full-time project.
Must be employed by the University of Sheffield.
Must be either;
- Academic staff,
- Research associates with demonstrable experience of supervising student research, or
- PhD students with an experienced named member of academic staff available to support them during the project, in the role of guarantor/ mentor. This will need to be reflected in the supervisor requirements.
Must be available to support the student researcher during the 6 week project.