Studying Religion, Theology and The Bible at Sheffield means you will be part of the only UK course where you can consistently investigate the role of religion and theology through the Bible in both ancient and modern contexts.
You will have the opportunity to read ancient texts in the original Hebrew and Greek as well as explore the influence of the Bible in politics, culture, art, literature and the media (including advertising and television). Prior study of religion, theology or the Bible is not expected. What we look for is intellectual curiosity and evidence of commitment to study at university level.
Our courses involve a mixture of core and optional modules. In your final year, you'll complete a dissertation, which is a piece of independent research on a subject of your choice, with appropriate supervision.
Combined Honours: Dual
Combined Honours: Triple
Combined Honours: Triple allows you to study up to three subjects on one of the most flexible courses in the UK. You can combine Religion, Theology and the Bible with 17 other Arts and Humanities subjects.
Religion, Theology and the Bible
Our flagship, interdisciplinary course offers you the chance to pursue interests in literature, history, politics, sociology, media, and the arts, as well as the option to learn a biblical language. This degree programme combines biblical studies with the latest developments in cultural, political, ideological, ethical, philosophical, sociological, historical and archeological approaches to religion and theology to better understand the Bible and its role in contemporary religious, social and political life. You can choose your own informal pathway through the course, specialising in subject areas you find the most interesting, or you can enjoy the broad range of modules on offer.
Dual Honours Degrees
Dual honours courses allow you to combine Religion, Theology and the Bible with another subject.
Cert HE Humanities with Religion
The Cert HE Humanities with Religion is offered by the Department for Life Long Learning and is specially designed for students with an interest in studying Religion and the Humanities, from a broad-based interdisciplinary perspective, over a two year period.
The core modules studied within the Department for Life Long Learning examine interdisciplinary themes including time, culture and identity, and provide a fresh perspective on the world we live in. The modules offered in Religion, Theology and the Bible provide an opportunity to explore a number of different religious themes and issues in greater depth.
BA Theological Studies
How your course works
In your first year with us you could study modules like Understanding Religion, Decoding the Bible, An Introduction to Islam, Religion in Modern Britain, and Myth, Ritual and Afterlife in the Ancient World.
In your second year you'll read theological and religious texts more closely, explore their history and examine their relationship to contemporary issues. You'll develop a historical, literary, theological, anthropological and sociological imagination. And you'll use it to analyse the meaning and significance of these texts in societies past and present.
In your final year, you'll be able to pursue the specialised interests you've developed, particularly when writing a dissertation on the topic of your choice.
Did you know...
- You can also take modules in other subjects that interest you in the humanities, arts, sciences or social sciences.
- Want to see the world? Part of your course can be studied abroad with one of our partner universities in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore and the USA.
- It's not all about lectures (although some of our lectures are interactive). You'll also learn through group projects, seminars, individual study, tutorials and computer-aided learning.
- Students who are working towards ordination in the church at the College of the Resurrection at Mirfield can take modules here at Sheffield, further diversifying our study environment and adding another dimension to our study of religion.
- Join us and you'll be joining one of Britain's top universities. In the 2014 THE Student Survey, Sheffield ranked first for student experience in the UK.
- We've got the best students' union in Britain, and Sheffield is the UK's number one city for student life. Come to an Open Day and see for yourself.