Booking a University vehicle
If this is your first time hiring a vehicle, you must register your licence with Transport Services who will then give you access to the booking system. Call 0114 222 9289/9172 for instructions.
If you have previously hired a vehicle, click here and log-in. If you are unable to log-in, it may be that your licence has not been checked recently. Call 0114 222 9289/9172 for assistance.
There are a number of vehicles available for staff to hire from the University, from electric cars which are ideal for short trips, to vans. Before you decide to book a vehicle, please ensure the following:
- Make sure your driving licence has been checked with Transport Services in the last 12 months. Call 0114 222 9289/9172 for confirmation.
- Ensure that your old licence is valid to drive the vehicle in the UK.
- If you want to hire a larger vehicle, you must have the right category of licence to drive light vehicles and vans (category B).
- Find out where to refill or recharge the vehicle.
All appropriate links can be found on the right hand of this page. Information on rates/charges can be found via the booking system.
Details of licences to drive: Cars or light vans - Category B
- You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).
- You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg. The fully loaded trailer can’t weigh more than the un-laden vehicle.
- Category B auto - You can drive a category B vehicle, but only an automatic one.
- Category B+E
- You can drive a category B vehicle with a trailer when they have a combined weight over 3,500kg.