Discover STEM Event, University of Sheffield, 26th September 2013
Discover STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) is a programme for year 12 students studying a combination of maths and science A-Levels (or equivalent) with a keen interest in further study at University level. Roger Lewis and Luciana Bostan and a number of PhD students hosted a Bio-tribology Workshop for the Discover STEM programme, at The University of Sheffield on the 26th September 2013. The workshop was designed to engage A-level students (aged 17-18) with bio-tribology and encourage them to study science or engineering. Roger Lewis gave a talk on bio-tribology and its applications after which the students were split into 3 groups. Luciana Bostan gave a talk on catheterisation; Diyana Tasron and Daniel Ura gave demonstrations on finger friction; whilst Luke Buckley-Johnstone demonstrated how to use the pendulum rig to measure slipperiness of floors
Other Outreach Activity
- EU Project Exhibition – Centre of Nanotechnology, West Pomeranian University of Szczecin, 21 June – 7 September 2013, ca. 1400 visitors: representatives of the city and region (mayor, Marshal of the West Pomeranian region), SME, scientists from Poland and US, rectors of the Universities, local citizens.
- EU Project Exhibition - Faculty of Environmental Management and Agriculture, West Pomeranian University of Szczecin, 9 September 2013, ca. 5000 visitors: SME, local citizens, scientists.
- EU Project Exhibition – Szczecin’s City Hall – Szczecin City Office, mid September – mid October 2013, ca. 10.000 visitors: SME, local citizens, scientists.
- EU Project Exhibition – Regional Centre for Innovation and Technology Transfer, October – November 2013, ca. 500 visitors: representatives of the city and region (mayor, Marshal of the West Pomeranian region), SME, scientists from Poland and US, rectors of the Universities.
- Vernissage “Horyzontalnie” (opening exhibition) – Known scientists and their scientific achievements - 13 of December 2013, Regional Centre for Innovation and Technology Transfer. Presentation of 7 FP projects during promotion of the new EC programme: Horizon 2020. Ca. 100 visitors: Rectors of the Universities, scientists, local citizens. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQV8dHQLovE
- Exhibition “Horyzontalnie”. Posters are presented at the “Forma” Gallery in Szczecin (ul. Żołnierska 50, 71-210 Szczecin), 14.Dec.2013-15.Feb.2014. The exhibition presents the FP7 research projects currently being implemented in the region of West as well as profiles of scientists who lead these projects. Patronage: National Museum in Szczecin. Ca. 500 visitors: Rectors of the Universities, scientists, local citizens. http://www.forma.zut.edu.pl/horyzontalnie.php