I graduated with a BSc (Economics) from the University of Strathclyde in 1989 and, after a (very) brief period in industry, worked as a researcher in the Department of Economics at the University of Strathclyde, the Department of Land Economics at the University of Paisley and the School of Planning and Housing at Heriot-Watt University. For much of this period I also worked part time on a PhD (Land Economics) at the University of Paisley. In 1995, I was appointed to a lectureship in the Department of Land Economy at the University of Aberdeen and in 1999 was promoted to Senior Lecturer.
I joined the Department of Urban Studies and Planning in February 2004 and was promoted to Reader in September 2004. I was Head of Department from 2011 - 2013. I am currently also Faculty Director of Research & Innovation for the Faculty of Social Sciences.
- Leishman C & Watkins C (2017) Assessing the spatial impact of policy interventions on real estate values: an exemplar of the use of the hybrid hedonic/repeat sales method. Regional Studies, Regional Science, 4, 202-217.
- Keskin B, Dunning R & Watkins C (2017) Modelling the impact of earthquake activity on real estate values: a multi-level approach. Journal of European Real Estate Research, 10(1), 73-90. View this article in WRRO
- Keskin B & Watkins C (2016) Defining spatial housing submarkets: Exploring the case for expert delineated boundaries. Urban Studies. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Campbell H, Tait M & Watkins C (2014) Is There Space for Better Planning in a Neoliberal World? Implications for Planning Practice and Theory. Journal of Planning Education and Research, 34(1), 45-59.
- Hincks S, Leishman C & Watkins C (2013) Introduction planning and housing: Concepts, policy instruments and market analysis. Town Planning Review, 84(1), 1-7.
- Leishman C, Costello G, Rowley S & Watkins C (2013) The Predictive Performance of Multilevel Models of Housing Sub-markets: A Comparative Analysis. Urban Studies, 50(6), 1201-1220.
- Adams D, Leishman C & Watkins C (2012) Housebuilder Networks and Residential Land Markets. Urban Studies, 49(4), 705-720.
- Jones C, Watkins C & Watkins D (2011) Measuring local affordability: Variations between housing market areas. International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis, 4(4), 341-356.
- Watkins CA & McMaster R (2011) The behavioural turn in housing economics: reflections on the theoretical and operational challenges. Housing Theory and Society, 28(3), 280-286.
- Jackson C & Watkins C (2011) Planning policy and retail property investment in the UK. Urban Studies, 48(11), 2321-2338.
- Ferrari ET, Leahy Laughlin D & Watkins CA (2011) Planning and the housing market: reflections on strategic housing market assessment in England. Town Planning Review, 82(4), 393-424.
- Watkins CA & Wong C (2009) Conceptualising spatial planning outcomes: towards an integrative measurement framework. Town Planning Review, 80(4/5), 481-510.
- Watkins C (2008) Microeconomic perspectives on the structure and operation of local housing markets. Housing Studies, 23(2), 163-177.
- Jackson CC, Stevenson S & Watkins CA (2008) NY-LON: Does a single cross-continental office market exist?. Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management, 14(2), 79-92.
- Jackson C & Watkins C (2007) Supply-side policies and retail property market performance. Environment and Planning A, 39(5), 1134-1146.
- McMaster R & Watkins C (2006) Economics and underdetermination: a case study of urban land and housing economics. CAMBRIDGE JOURNAL OF ECONOMICS, 30(6), 901-922.
- Case B, Colwell PF, Leishman C & Watkins C (2006) The impact of environmental contamination on condo prices: A hybrid repeat-sale/hedonic approach. Real Estate Economics, 34(1), 77-107.
- Jones CA, Leishman CM & Watkins CA (2006) Housing market processes, urban housing submarkets and planning policy. Town Planning Review, 76(2), 215-233.
- Adair A, Berry J, McGreal S, Poon J, Hutchison N, Watkins C & Gibb K (2005) Investment performance within urban regeneration locations. Journal of Property Investment & Finance, 23(1), 7-21.
- Jackson C & Watkins C (2005) Planning policy and retail property markets: Measuring the dimensions of planning intervention. Urban Studies, 42(8), 1453-1469.
- Jones C, Leishman C & Watkins C (2005) Housing market processes, urban housing submarkets and planning policy. Town Planning Review, 76(2), 215-233.
- Leishman C & Watkins C (2004) The decision‐making behaviour of office occupiers. Journal of Property Investment & Finance, 22(4), 307-319.
- Watkins CA, Dunse N, Leishman C & Warren F (2004) Office space requirements: comparing occupiers' preferences with agents perceptions. Journal of Property Investment and Finance, 21(1), 45-60.
- Roulac S, Adair A, Crosby N, Lim LC, Watkins C & Davis P (2004) The emerging global real estate appraisal research agenda: Evidence from the ARES, ERES, PPRES and RICS conferences. Journal of Real Estate Literature, 12(2), 135-155.
- Jones C, Leishman C & Watkins C (2004) Intra-urban migration and housing submarkets: Theory and evidence. Housing Studies, 19(2), 269-283.
- Watkins C & White M (2003) Directions in corporate real estate research. Journal of Property Investment & Finance, 21(1).
- Adair A, Berry J, McGreal S, Hutchison N, Watkins C & Gibb K (2003) Urban regeneration and property investment performance. Journal of Property Research, 20(4), 371-386.
- Adair AS, Crosby N, Lim LC & Watkins C (2003) The contribution of the RICS cutting edge conference to commercial real estate research. Journal of Property Research, 20(1), 91-115.
- Jones C, Leishman C & Watkins C (2003) Structural Change in a Local Urban Housing Market. Environment and Planning A, 35(7), 1315-1326.
- Leishman C & Watkins C (2002) Estimating local repeat sales house price indices for British cities. Journal of Property Investment & Finance, 20(1), 36-58.
- Adair A, Crosby N, Cheng Lim L & Watkins C (2002) Valuation of Property Assets: An International Research Agenda. Pacific Rim Property Research Journal, 8(2), 84-93.
- Costello G & Watkins C (2002) Towards a system of local house price indices. Housing Studies, 17(6), 857-873.
- Dunse N, Leishman C & Watkins C (2002) Testing for the Existence of Office Sub-markets: A Comparison of Evidence from Two Cities. Urban Studies, 39(3), 483-506.
- Watkins CA, Dunse N & Leishman C (2001) Classifying office submarkets. Journal of Property Investment and Finance, 19(3), 236-250.
- Watkins CA (2001) The Definition and Identification of Housing Submarkets. Environment and Planning A, 33(12), 2235-2253.
- Nanthakumaran N, Watkins C & Orr A (2000) Understanding Property Market Dynamics: Insights from Modelling the Supply-Side Adjustment Mechanism. Environment and Planning A, 32(4), 655-671.
- Watkins CA (1999) Property valuation and the structure of urban housing markets. Journal of Property Investment and Finance, 17(2), 157-157.
- Rosenburg L & Watkins C (1999) Longitudinal Monitoring of Housing Renewal in the Urban Core: Reflections on the Experience of Glasgow's Merchant City. Urban Studies, 36(11), 1973-1996.
- Pawson H & Watkins C (1998) The Position and Role of Former Public Sector Homes in the Owner-occupied Sector: New Evidence from the Scottish Housing Market. Urban Studies, 35(8), 1291-1309.
- Pawson H & Watkins C (1998) Examining Spatial Patterns in the Pace of Housing Commodification. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, 89(4), 416-430.
- Pawson H & Watkins C (1998) The resale of former public sector homes in rural Scotland. Scottish Geographical Magazine, 114(3), 157-163.
- Hoesli M, Thion B & Watkins C (1997) A hedonic investigation of the rental value of apartments in central Bordeaux. Journal of Property Research, 14(1), 15-26.
- Jones C & Watkins C (1996) Urban Regeneration and Sustainable Markets. Urban Studies, 33(7), 1129-1140.