I am an environmental social scientist with research interests in water governance and sustainability. I am particularly interested in how different kinds of knowledge and expertise come together as part of these processes.
My current role involves activities to support the development of urban water governance research across the university. This includes initiating and designing cross-disciplinary funding proposals, alongside the development of research in the area of urban water governance.
Before joining the Department of Urban Studies and Planning I was a Research Associate at Bradford University for four years working on the EU-funded PREPARED project. This project aimed to support water utilities across Europe in their work to become more adaptive to climate change impacts. As part of the project, we worked in partnership with Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water.
I completed a Masters in Environmental Studies and Sustainability Sciences at The University of Lund, Sweden in 2005 and then moved to the University of Sheffield to study for a PhD in the Catchment Science Centre. My PhD investigated how local residents perceived and related to landscape change, with a particular focus on river restoration.
- Westling EL, Surridge BWJ, Sharp L, Lerner DN (2014) Making sense of landscape change: Long-term perceptions among local residents following river restoration. Journal of Hydrology, 519, 2613-2623.
- Westling EL, Sharp L, Rychlewski M, Carrozza C (2014) Developing adaptive capacity through reflexivity: lessons from collaborative research with a UK water utility. Critical Policy Studies, 8(4),427-446.
- Wild TC, Bernet JF, Westling EL, Lerner DN (2011) Deculverting: reviewing the evidence on the ‘daylighting’ and restoration of culverted rivers. Water and Environment Journal, 25(3), 412-421.
- Westling EL, Lerner DN, Sharp L (2009) Using secondary data to analyse socio-economic impacts of water management actions. Journal of Environmental Management, 91(2), 411-422.
- Westling E & Sharp L (2018) Both critical and applied? Action research and transformative change in the UK water sector In Bartels K & Wittmayer J (Ed.), Action Research in Policy Analysis: Critical and Relational Approaches to Sustainability Transitions Routledge View this article in WRRO
- Rychlewski M, Westling EL, Sharp L, Ashley R & Tait S (2015) Developing Adaptive Capacity in a Water Utility In Hulsman A, Betriebe G, Van Den Berg G, Racuch W, Jensen A, Popovych V, Mazzola M, Vamvakeridou-Lyroudia L & Savic D (Ed.), Climate Change, Water Supply and Sanitation: Risk Assessment, Management, Mitigation and Reduction (pp. 29-32). London: IWA Publishing.
- Rauch W, Bach PM, Brown R, Rogers B, de Haan FJ, McCarthy DT, Kleidorfer M, Mair M, Sitzenfrei R, Urich C , Deletic A et al (2015) Enabling Change: Institutional Adaptation In Hulsman A, Betriebe G, Van Den Berg G, Racuch W, Jensen A, Popovych V, Mazzola M, Vamvakeridou-Lyroudia L & Savic D (Ed.), Climate Change, Water Supply and Sanitation: Risk Assessment, Management, Mitigation and Reduction (pp. 355-373). London: IWA Publishing.