I studied Land Economy at Emmanuel College, Cambridge (BA, 1974; MA, 1978) before taking a MA Town and Regional Planning at the University of Sheffield (1976). I spent four years in practice with Manchester City Council (1976-78) and Greater Manchester County Council (1978-80), becoming a Chartered Surveyor (MRICS) and Chartered Planner (MRTPI) in 1979. I became a Lecturer in Planning and Development at Sheffield Hallam University in 1980, progressing to Reader before my move to the University of Sheffield in 1993. I was appointed to a Personal Chair in Property Development in 1998. Subsequently, I was Head of the Department of Urban Studies and Planning (1999-2003) and Dean of the Faculty of Architectural Studies (2005-07). I was elected a Member of the Academy of Social Sciences in 2010 in recognition of my contribution to the field of planning and development.
I am joint (founding) Editor of the RICS / Wiley-Blackwell book series 'Issues in Real Estate' and recently completed a term as an Editor of Regional Studies with responsibility for papers related to property, land and planning (2010-13). I am a member of the Editorial Boards of the Journal of Property Research, the Journal of European Real Estate Research and Town Planning Review. I have extensive research experience and have been awarded over £3m for funded work by the Economic and Social Research Council, the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, the European Commission, the Department for Communities and Local Government, the Welsh Assembly, the Land Development Studies Trust, the RICS Education Trust, local authorities and private sector property consultants.
I have over 30 years of teaching experience in higher education. Previously, I delivered core courses in property development on RTPI-accredited MPlan and MA, RICS-accredited MAs and other academic courses sharing the same units. I have supervised 19 research students to successful completion.
I am currently Primary Supervisor for the following student:
- Cihan Cagil, The Istanbul International Festival and 'World City' planning in Istanbul
- Henneberyy JM (Ed.) (2017) Transicence and Permanence in Urban Development (Wiley-Blackwell)
- Henneberry JM, Crook A & Whitehead C (Eds.) (2016) Planning Gain: Providing Infrastructure and Affordable Housing (Wiley-Blackwell)
- Bibby P, Henneberry JM & Halleux J-M (2018) Under the radar? ‘Soft’ residential densification in England, 2001–2011. Environment and planning. B, Planning & design. View this article in WRRO
- Wild T, Henneberry JM & Gill L (2017) Comprehending the multiple 'values' of green infrastructure - valuing nature-based solutions for urban water management, from multiple perspectives. Environmental Research. View this article in WRRO
- Mell I, Henneberry JM, Hehl-Lange S, & Keskin B (2016) To green or not to green: Establishing the economic value of green infrastructure investments in The Wicker, Sheffield. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Crosby N & Henneberry J (2016) Financialisation, the valuation of investment property and the urban built environment in the UK. Urban Studies, 53(7), 1424-1441. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Catney P & Henneberry JM (2015) Public entrepreneurship and the politics of regeneration in multi-level governance. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Boschma R, Feser E, Henneberry J, Iammarino S, Lagendijk A, Ma L, Massard N, Oinas P, van Oort F, Pijpers R, Pike A, Varga A & Usai S (2014) Editorial: Sailing in the Ocean of Knowledge, 2008–13. Regional Studies, 48(8), 1313-1318.
- Henneberry J & Mouzakis F (2014) Familiarity and the Determination of Yields for Regional Office Property Investments in the UK. Regional Studies, 48(3), 530-546.
- Halbert L, Henneberry J & Mouzakis F (2014) The Financialization of Business Property and What It Means for Cities and Regions. Regional Studies, 48(3), 547-550.
- Halbert L, Henneberry J & Mouzakis F (2014) Finance, Business Property and Urban and Regional Development. Regional Studies, 48(3), 421-424.
- Mell IC, Henneberry J, Hehl-Lange S & Keskin B (2013) Promoting urban greening: Valuing the development of green infrastructure investments in the urban core of Manchester, UK. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening, 12(3), 296-306.
- Henneberry J & Parris S (2013) The embedded developer: Using project ecologies to analyse local property development networks. Town Planning Review, 84(2), 227-249.
- Roberts C, Rowley S & Henneberry J (2012) The impact of landscape quality on property investment decisions. Journal of Property Investment and Finance, 30(1), 69-82.
- Henneberry JM & Catney P (2012) (Not) Exercising Discretion: Environmental Planning and the Politics of Blame-Avoidance. Planning Theory and Practice.
- Eiser JR, Stafford T, Henneberry J & Catney P (2009) "Trust me, I'm a scientist (not a developer)": Perceived expertise and motives as predictors of trust in assessment of risk from contaminated land. Risk Analysis, 29(2), 288-297.
- Henneberry J & Roberts C (2008) Calculated inequality? Portfolio benchmarking and regional office property Investment in the UK. Urban Studies, 45(5-6), 1217-1241.
- Mouzakis F & Henneberry J (2008) Geographical externalities of local real estate markets: An empirical examination of UK data. Journal of European Real Estate Research, 1(1), 58-71.
- Catney P, Henneberry J, Lawson N & Shaw S (2008) Deliberating the environmental risk posed by contaminated land: The importance of local context. Land Contamination and Reclamation, 16(2), 113-124.
- Roberts C & Henneberry J (2007) Exploring office investment decision-making in different European contexts. Journal of Property Investment and Finance, 25(3), 289-305.
- Richard Eiser J, Stafford T, Henneberry J & Catney P (2007) Risk perception and trust in the context of urban brownfields. Environmental Hazards, 7(2), 150-156.
- Catney P, Henneberry J, Meadowcroft J & Eiser JR (2006) Dealing with contaminated land in the UK through 'development managerialism'. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning, 8(4), 331-356.
- Henneberry J, McGough T & Mouzakis F (2005) The impact of planning on local business rents. Urban Studies, 42(3), 471-502.
- Henneberry J (2005) Engaging planning with economics. Town Planning Review, 76(4), 493-495.
- Campbell H & Henneberry J (2005) Planning obligations, the market orientation of planning and planning professionalism. Journal of Property Research, 22(1), 37-59.
- Guy S & Henneberry J (2002) Bridging the divide? Complementary perspectives on property. Urban Studies, 39(8), 1471-1478.
- Guy S, Henneberry J & Rowley S (2002) Development cultures and urban regeneration. Urban Studies, 39(7), 1181-1196.
- Guy S & Henneberry J (2000) Understanding urban development processes: Integrating the economic and the social in property research. Urban Studies, 37(13), 2399-2416.
- Campbell H, Ellis H, Henneberry J & Gladwell C (2000) Planning obligations, planning practice, and land-use outcomes. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 27(5), 759-775.