A comprehensive list of the software we have available at USSS.
USSS machines in the lab and studios have
- Sibelius ultimate - note processing
- Cubase 10.5 - Digital Audio Workstation
- Dorico - note processing
- Reaper - Digital Audio Workstation
- GRM tools (in all studios)
- Harpex (Ambisonics: in studio 6)
- Ambisonic Toolkit (in studios)
- Full Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Premiere, Audition)
Here at Sheffield we are pioneering the use of open source software for music. This enables you to have your own copy at home.
- Audacity for audio editing
- Pure Data (pd) for computer music programming and USSSTOOLS
- Purr Data also for USSSTOOLS
- Csound and Blue - text based computer music programming
- Supercollider - text based computer music programming
- MuseScore - note processing
We also use:
- Composers Desktop Project (CDP) - composition software for manipulating sound
- Granulab - granular synthesis software
- Cecilia - sound design processing environment (with self-gui development opportunities)
- Soundgrain - granular synthesis
- Pyo - python based computer music programming
- Sonic Visualiser - soundfile editor and analysis tool
- Praat - sound analysis software (esp. speech)
- MatLab (and Octave) - mathematics processing
- SPSS - Statistics tool
- Lilypond with Frescobaldi - score typesetting and engraving
- Blender - 3D modelling
- Python - programming
- C++ - programming
We don't just throw you in at the deep end however. In both pd and csound we have ready-made instruments that allow you to make music immediately.
Once you begin to figure out what is happening to your sounds, we 'peel back the interface' and show you how the instrument works. Then you can modify it and take whatever you need to make your own set of tools. See our teaching pages for more information as to how we blend content creation and creative computer music programming
Study Music at Sheffield
The Music Department at Sheffield offers a broad spectrum of degrees delivered by some of the world's finest music researchers.
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.