What is it?
The promo widget is a flexible way you can promote supporting content on your website.
The fonts used and style of the box are pre-defined. There are currently two colour options:
- the default colour which is white text on a grey background
- the highlight colour which is in keeping with the colour of the website section you are in - for example, blue for the Departments & Services
The widget contains five optional elements:
|Title||This appears in Stephenson font at the top of the widget|
|Image||The picture needs to be 180 pixels wide|
|Headline||This can work as a sub header or image caption|
|Text||A sentence of text which you can use to give more specific detail|
|Source / link text||If you insert a link, this text becomes the text in your button. If you have no link then the arrow disappears and it can become another box with text in|
Promo widgets are more accessible for users than creating an image containing text as a graphic.
What should it be used for?
The promo widget is a versatile tool with many uses. Typical examples of how it could be used are below. These would appear in the secondary content area on a page - we have placed images representing them in the main body of the page here just to illustrate these examples.
Promoting an upcoming event such as an open day:
Promoting a specific bit of content:
Drawing attention to a great statistic:
Things to consider
A few things to consider when using promo widgets:
- Don't overload a single page with too many widgets. A secondary content area packed with too much content will unbalance your page
- Remember to follow University style when you write text to be used inside a promo widget. For example, use sentence case, not title case
- Always attribute a statistic or claim using the source/attribution field. You can also use this field as link button text
How to insert a promo widget
- Open to edit the page or folder you want to add a promo widget to
- Click the Secondary content tab
- Select promo widget from the dropdown and click Create
- Type or paste in the text for the fields you want and add an image
- Choose a colour scheme - either default or highlight
- Insert a link if you think there is a relevant page to link to
- Click Insert
You can remove a widget by clicking the red cross on the right-hand side of the list of widgets.