Part-time jobs and work experience

Getting a part-time job whilst at University has many benefits, it is a great way to;

  • Gain work experience
  • Develop your skills
  • Meet new people
  • Earn some money

The Careers Service runs the Student Jobshop based in the Students’ Union. Here you’ll find a dedicated team of recruitment specialists with knowledge of the local area who can help you get started on finding part time work in Sheffield both on and off campus. We work with local organisations and University departments to identify part-time jobs, casual and vacation work to fit around your studies. We recommend that students on full-time courses work no more than 16 hours per week during term time, many students like to work longer during vacation times.

Find part time jobs

While there are a range of places to search for part time roles, see below for more details, we also have our own jobs board where you can see a variety of opportunities including those that are part-time. These are positions we have directly sourced or where local employers are directly targeting University of Sheffield students. 

If you are intending to work as a casual worker or Graduate Teaching Assistant/Associate for the University, please register on myJobshop.

Current vacancies available on Career Connect

Where to look

Start by using Career Connect and talking to staff in the Student Jobshop, but there's lots of other information via the following links:

Useful resources

Know your employment rights

Watch this short video to learn about your employment rights as a part-time/casual worker, including minimum wage and holiday pay, itemised payslips, contracts and working hours and bullying and harassment.

How many hours?

This will be dictated by your student status, but generally, the University recommends that students studying a full-time degree course do not work more than 16 hours per week during term-time:

Sheffield International College students – If the course is for 12 months, up to 10 hours per week. Working is not permitted for courses of 6 months or less.
English Language Teaching Centre students – Maximum 10 hours per week during term-time.
International students – Typically a maximum of 20 hours per week during term-time (more in vacations) but check your visa sticker/Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) to confirm this.
International Post Graduate Taught (PGT) students – Maximum of 20 hours per week during term-time. Up to full-time during Christmas and Easter vacations, but not during summer until all exams are complete/dissertation submitted.
Post Graduate Research (PGR) students – Are considered to be in term-time for the duration of the academic year (except vacation). Are allowed 8 weeks’ vacation each academic year during which you may work full-time; Supervisor annual leave permission required.

What will I be paid?

The UK has a National Minimum Wage (NMW) which is a minimum hourly rate of pay you are entitled too, depending on your age, although many employers do pay a higher rate.

You are paid according to the number of hours you work, which may be on a weekly or monthly basis. Working hours may be confirmed by a sign-in/sign-out or time sheet procedure so ensure you follow the relevant process for the organisation you work for. All workers must be issued with a payslip from their employer which confirms the amount of pay given, and the tax and insurance deducted.

What about Tax and National Insurance (NI)?

National Insurance Numbers - Please note there are currently COVID-19 related changes to the application process, visit the Government webpages for the most up to date application guidance.

Everyone has a Personal Allowance (PA) - the amount of money you are allowed to earn each tax year before you pay Income Tax. This amount varies each year and details can be found on the Government income tax website.

In addition, everyone who plans to work in the UK must have a National Insurance (NI) number. NI contributions are a tax on earnings to build your entitlement to state benefits such as State Pension. You begin paying NI once you earn over a certain amount of money and it is applied to each income payment you receive, rather than annually. This amount varies each year and details can be found on the Government NI website.

If you are a UK resident aged 16 to 19, you should be sent an NI number automatically. If you are moving to the UK and plan to work part-time, you must apply for an NI number once you are in the UK. Further information can be found on the Government website. Please do not pay any agency to obtain a National Insurance Number - National Insurance Numbers are issued free of charge.

Additional information