Welcome to the Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Transgender (LGBT+) Staff Network.
The LGBT+ Staff Network provides a space for LGBT+ staff and PhD students at the University of Sheffield (and all associated services) to come together to socialise, share information, and support one another.
Although the acronym ‘LGBT’ refers specifically to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, we use the ‘+’ to include those who identify with any other diverse sexual or gender identity. This includes, but is not limited to, queer, pansexual, asexual, agender, bi-gender, genderqueer, gender fluid, two-spirit, and non-binary.
We hold regular informal socials, providing a safe and welcoming environment for members, or those interested in finding out more, to meet up and chat. Members of the network receive a monthly newsletter outlining events, news, and relevant opportunities.
We understand the importance of the privacy of our members. Membership of the network will remain confidential, and the list of members is only visible to the network co-chairs.
If you would like more information about the network, please do not hesitate to contact us at: email@example.com
Our aims and objectives
The network was formed in 2009 and works in partnership with management and staff at the University of Sheffield to create a fully inclusive working environment that encourages a culture of respect and equality for everyone regardless of their sexual orientation and gender identity.
We use the term “LGBT+ staff” to refer to LGBT+ staff and PhD students at the University of Sheffield and all associated services. This includes but is not limited to staff of academic departments and professional services, Sheffield Students’ Union, AMRC, and epiGenesys.
The LGBT+ staff network exists to:
- Work with the University to create an inclusive and diverse working environment
- Plan and deliver a programme of activities that reflects the needs and interests of LGBT+ staff
- Act as a point of contact, and provide a safe and confidential space for LGBT+ staff across the University
- Represent the interest of LGBT+ staff in University policy making
- Reflect on University developments regarding LGBT+ issues, and proactively plan future work
- Inform LGBT+ staff of information and updates to University policies that are pertinent to them
- Create links and work with other networks, both across the University and the wider region
The LGBT+ staff network is run by a committee of volunteers from across the University. The committee meets approximately once every two months to discuss network activities, relevant University policy, and issues affecting LGBT+ staff.
Network Co-Chairs: Gemma Halliwell and Mark Yarrow
For latest information, please follow us on Twitter @TUoSLGBT