Deputy Academic Heads of Department Policy
Effective from the academic session 2010/2011
- Heads should discuss their need for a Deputy with their FPVC, FDO and Senior HR Adviser. They should consider whether and how other departmental staff are able to fulfil any of the duties/responsibilities.
- If the FPVC agrees that a Deputy Head role is necessary, a role description should be drawn up, expressions of interests should be sought within the department, and the role agreed with the potential Deputy Head before appointment.
- The duties and responsibilities of a Deputy Head may be very different across departments and faculties, due to variation in size and remit: in most cases, this role would comprise their allocated administration duties under workload allocation arrangements.
- The tenure period would normally between 2 and 4 years: appointments are confirmed by the FPVC.
- Performance and contribution will be considered within existing reward arrangements for either professorial or non- professorial level Deputy Heads of Department: in some cases, this may include salary progression, or the payment of an exceptional contribution award.
- With effect from the start of the 2010/2011 academic session, there is no additional remuneration or allowance for Deputy Heads of Departments, at any grade.