6. Non-consent of flexible working arrangements
If the department is unable to accommodate the request for flexible working, the legislation states that it may only be declined on the basis of one or more of the following reasons:
- The burden of additional costs;
- Detrimental effect on the ability to meet customer demand;
- Inability to re-organise work amongst existing staff;
- Inability to recruit additional staff;
- Detrimental impact on quality;
- Detrimental impact on performance;
- Insufficiency of work during the periods you propose to work;
- Planned structural changes;
- Such other grounds as the Secretary of State may specify by regulations.
If a staff member’s application for flexible working is declined, they may appeal against the University’s decision within 14 days of being notified of the decision, stating the grounds upon which the appeal is based.
See Appeals for more details.