Display Screen Equipment (DSE)
The DSE Policy can be viewed here
The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HASAWA) states that employees have a duty to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and therefore as a result the employee should bring to the attention of their line manager any problems that they may be experiencing whilst working with DSE.
Display Screen Equipment – Any alphanumeric or graphic display screen.
Workstation – Comprises of: -
• the display screen
• chair, work surface / desk, keyboard or other input device
• telephone, document holder, printer, etc
• any optional accessories to the display screen equipment
• immediate work environment around the display screen equipment
User – Any employee who habitually uses display screen equipment as a significant part of his/her normal work. Someone who uses display screen equipment for an hour or more at a time, on most days would generally be considered as a user.
Assessor – An individual nominated by the Head of Department to carry out duties as outlined in this policy; and who has attended for training accordingly.
Responsibilities of Staff
• Undertake the relevant online DSE awareness training and work in accordance with agreed procedures and instructions
• Complete the online DSE Awareness training and assessment
• Discuss any untoward outcomes of the assessment with the DSE Assessor
• Make any changes indicated by the assessment or when recommended by a DSE Assessor
• Notify the DSE Assessor of any significant changes associated with the DSE
• Report any health problems related to DSE work to their line manager/supervisor or DSE Assessor_