Our outreach teams work with schools and colleges, primarily from South Yorkshire and neighbouring regions, to help raise aspirations and attainment of young people. Our overall aim is to encourage appropriately qualified young people from currently under-represented groups to enter higher education.
We do this through a broad programme of outreach activities, which includes:
- Generic awareness and aspiration raising activities, to break down perceived barriers of entry to higher education. These can include visits to campus for familiarisation activities
- Subject specific and attainment raising initiatives, some of which are linked to particular professions such as law, accountancy, medicine and dentistry
- Programmes that help to prepare students for academic study at degree level, for example the HE Prep Programme of study skills and related activities
We are also able to:
- Provide advice and guidance on working with schools and colleges
- Provide contextual and strategic information about the pre-HE environment
- Provide small amounts of funding and advice for departments wishing to undertake widening participation activities
The Strategic Educational Partnerships Team
The Strategic Educational Partnerships Team forms part of the wider Outreach and UK/EU Recruitment Team. The Strategic Educational Partnerships Coordinator´s role is to help strengthen educationally focused partnerships with external stakeholders, including Local Authorities, local MPs and other agencies, as well as developing networking opportunities for internal and external colleagues to share information and raise the profile of the University and its work in the sub-region.
For more information, see our Schools, Colleges and Community Groups pages: