Who we are and How We Help
The Student Services Information Desk (SSiD) is the 'one-stop shop' information service for general student related issues. We aim to coordinate central communications to students and answer the majority of student related enquiries from a single location.
Convenient Means of Accessing our Service
Walk in Student Centre: Based in the Students' Union building past, present and future students are able to get most answers and documents on a single visit.
Contact Centre: The SSiD Contact Centre supports our interaction with students and their supporter over a variety of media, including telephony, e-mail, social media, internet chat and other online systems
Comprehensive Web Presence
We have developed over 2,000 web pages containing useful and interesting information about many aspects of University life.
General Enquiry Handling Service
- Quick and Correct Response
- Information & Guidance: We to provide help on a wide range of student related enquiries.
- Professional, Friendly, and Knowledgeable staff. Our friendly staff are trained to answer all types of questions whether specific or general. We can also offer guidance if there are decisions to be made once an enquiry has been answered.
Support Enquiry Handling Service
Answering student support enquiries and gatekeeping, signposting and referring support requests.
- Signposting: Many questions are quickly answered by the enquirer visiting the information sources themselves which signpost to other services and departments within the University.
- Referrals: There are some questions we may not be able to answer in full but we will refer past, present and future students, as well as staff, to someone who can.
Relevant targeted student messaging
We use a range of communication channels to ensure that students receive message about the right things at the right times in the right format.
The team moderates the main student email messaging system on behalf of colleagues elsewhere in the University.
We organise dozens of messages that would go out separately in our weekly term time email newsletter
Social Media Presence
- @shefUniStudents (Twitter)
- @shefunistudents (Facebook)
- shefunistudents (Instagram)
- We are Sheffield Students blog
Digital Media Presence
Student Status Confirmation and Verification Service
- Useful Documents: Each year we produce many documents on request, directly from the Student Record. In the last year we produced 5,000 Bank Letters, 6,000 Council Tax Exemption Certificates, 8,000 Certificates of Student Status, 3,800 UCard replacements and 1,500 Summaries of Results.
- Important Documents: Some services do take more than a couple of minutes to provide. Sometimes we need to check details or get further information from other departments to complete the request. In the last year these included 7,500 Transcripts of Qualification, 1,000 Visa Letters, 1,300 Tuition Fee receipts and 2,000 Confirmation of Student Attendance Letters.
- Helping Students With Outside Agencies: We are in daily contact with organisations such as Employment Agencies and Embassies who want to confirm details of individual students. We try to help as speedily as possible but we will not release any details of a student unless we have their permission.
Central Point for Collecting and Returning Forms
- Collection Point: Students and staff can collect a wide range of forms, letters and leaflets from the SSiD office.
- Post Box for Our Colleagues: We take receipt of documents for our colleagues in other parts of the University who will then process them.
Printed Information Shop
SSiD is a convenient location for student collecting a wide range of brochures, leaflets, guides and information sheets