Application to Repeat a Period of Study

If your Year End result is F (Fail) or NA (Not Assessed) and you intend to repeat the year:

1. What to do next

  • Whether you're repeating internally (with attendance at lectures and classes) or externally (without attendance), you should contact your department for advice in the first instance, and then complete an "Application to Repeat a Period of Study Form". You may also need to contact other examining department(s)/school(s) for advice about re-assessment on specific failed modules/units.
  • Forms must be completed and approved by your academic department and submitted to the Student Administration Service. They'll then email you with further instructions - follow these instructions to complete your registration. Failure to do so will mean that you will not be registered for study, and you may consequently be withdrawn from the University.

Note: Other than at Level 1, University regulations will permit you to repeat failed or not assessed units only.

If you are repeating your current level or a previous level on a different programme, you should complete a Change of Programme form instead.

2. Financial Implications

Please note that a repeat period of study may have significant financial consequences which you are advised to check before making any decision, e.g.:

  • If you are applying to repeat study (even if on a different programme), you will need to complete Registration. You will not be granted full registration unless you are able to pay the due tuition fees or can show written proof of sponsorship relating to the repeat period. Further information is available from the link to Repeat Registration in the See Also box.
  • You are advised to consult the Student Loans Company (SLC) or other funding sponsor (if appropriate) before applying for a change of status to establish whether any support will be available for this additional study period.
  • If you are unsure as to exactly how your change of status may affect your tuition fees, please seek advice from the Registration Helpline on 0114 222 1288 or email the link below.


3. Visa/Immigration Implications

If you are in the UK on a student visa, please ensure that you have read this information before submitting a Repeat application to your department.

  • Please note that the University must report changes in your circumstances to the UK Home Office, including: changes of programme, leave of absence, withdrawal, failure to attend.

Email: International Student Support

Application to Repeat a Period of Study Form (PDF, 174kb)

Download thumbnail

4. Additional Information

  • General guidance and information is also available at Help and Support for Students on the Student Services information Desk (SSiD) website (link in See Also box).
  • You may wish to consult the Students' Union Advice Centre about your options (link in See Also box).
  • Information about taking a Leave of Absence (suspending your studies for a period of time) or Withdrawing from the University is available from the links in the See Also box.