Application to Repeat a Period of Study
If your Year End result is F (Fail) or NA (Not Assessed) and you intend to REPEAT the year, please see the guidance below:
1. What to do next
- You should contact your own department/school in the first instance for advice on re-assessment. You may also need to contact other examining department(s)/school(s) for advice about re-assessment on specific failed modules/units.
- Students wishing to change to a programme of study which involves no repeat units being taken as part of the new programme should complete a change of status form for a change of programme (see "Change of Status" in the right -hand section of this page).
To repeat as an External candidate (without attendance at lectures and classes):
- You should apply online to be re-assessed/resit externally. Please complete an 'Application to Repeat a Period of Study' form
To repeat as an Internal Part-time or Full-Time candidate, including as part of a change of programme (with attendance):
To register for internal repeats (with attendance) for this session you should contact your academic department for academic advice in the first instance, and then complete the Application to Repeat a Period of Study Form. Forms must be completed and approved by your academic department and submitted to the Taught Programmes Office. Registry Services will then email you confirmation and further instructions - follow these instructions to complete your registration. Failure to do so will mean that you will not be registered for study and you may consequently be withdrawn from the University.
Note University Regulations will not permit you to repeat on a full-time basis (other than at Level 1), unless you need to register for 120 credits (i.e. you need to repeat 120 credits as you have failed and/or been NA in every unit).
2. Financial Implications
Please note that a repeat period of study may have significant financial consequences which you are advised to check before making any decision, e.g.:
- If you are applying to repeat study (even if on a different programme), you will need to complete Registration. You will not be granted full registration unless you are able to pay the due tuition fees or can show written proof of sponsorship relating to the repeat period. Further information is available from the link to Repeat Registration in the See Also box.
- You are advised to consult the Student Loans Company (SLC) or other funding sponsor (if appropriate) before applying for a change of status to establish whether any support will be available for this additional study period.
- If you are unsure as to exactly how your change of status may affect your tuition fees, please seek advice from the Registration Helpline on 0114 222 1288 or email the link below.
3. Visa/Immigration Implications
If you are in the UK on a student visa, please ensure that you have read this information before submitting a Repeat application to your department.
- Please note that the University must report changes in your circumstances to the UK Home Office, including: changes of programme, leave of absence, withdrawal, failure to attend.
4. Additional Information
- General guidance and information is also available at Help and Support for Students on the Student Services information Desk (SSiD) website (link in See Also box).
- You may wish to consult the Students' Union Advice Centre about your options (link in See Also box).
- Information about taking a Leave of Absence (suspending your studies for a period of time) or Withdrawing from the University is available from the links in the See Also box.