Sheffield Bursary Scheme for 2015 students

Group pf postgraduate students on grass in sunshineHow does it work?

This money is from the University and is the same as a grant; it doesn’t have to be paid back. You will receive the same amount for each year of your course, including a year spent studying abroad should you choose to do this.

You will have a choice of taking your bursary as a direct payment, a fee waiver (reducing the amount of tuition fee loan required) or a partial payment towards your rent (for University accommodation only).

Five award areas

The Sheffield Bursary Scheme is split into five main areas:

1. Some of the bursary is based on your household income
You will automatically receive this bursary if your household income is £42,620 or less.

Household income Bursary per year of study
£0–£25,000 £1,500
£25,001–£30,000 £1,250
£30,001–£35,000 £1,000
£35,001–£42,620 £750
City regions

2.  You can get an extra £1,000 based on household income and where you live
If your household income is £25,000 a year or less and you live in one of the country’s most deprived areas (as defined by the government) you'll receive £1,000 a year on top of any other financial support you receive.

3. You can get £500 depending on where you live and what grades you get
If you live in an area within the Sheffield City Region where it is not common for people to go to university and you achieve ABB (or higher) at A Level you’ll receive £500 a year on top of any other support you receive. This award does not take household income into account.

You can check whether you qualify using the student funding calculator. (The map shown here is a guide only.)

Please note that if you live in one of the devolved nations you will not be eligible for either of the postcode dependent awards (points 2 and 3 above). 

4. Care leavers
Care leavers will be eligible for a bursary of £4,500 per year of study regardless of where they live and household income. Care leavers are also encouraged to apply for the HSBC Scholarship.

5. Student carers
Students with caring responsibilities, who care for an ill or disabled family member, are also eligible for a bursary of £4,500 per year of study regardless of where they live and household income.

If you are a care leaver or you care for an ill or disabled family member please get in touch with the financial support team ( to discuss the support available to you.


If you are eligible for the Care Leavers or Student Carers bursary, the £4,500 award replaces the other elements of the scheme.

We reserve the right to reclaim any financial support awards that students are no longer eligible for.

Students on a part-time programme of study will be assessed for a pro rata bursary.

When you apply to Student Finance England, or equivalent assessing agency for a tuition fee loan, maintenance loan, or maintenance grant, you will provide the information necessary for us to work out how much bursary you're entitled to. About four weeks after the start of your course, the Financial Support Team will email you and let you know how much bursary you will receive.

Although the University bursary is assessed automatically, it is your responsibility to make sure that you have applied to Student Finance England, or equivalent funding body, and that you have been assessed correctly by the University.

We can only assess you for the bursary during the current academic year, so if you are unsure of your eligibility, we advise that you contact the Financial Support Team for confirmation of your eligibility.