Emergency or crisis support

How to access support in an emergency or crisis. 


If you or someone else is at immediate risk or need urgent medical attention (e.g. following an overdose or if actively suicidal), please call the emergency services (police or ambulance).

  • Call 999 (off campus)
  • Call 4444 (on campus)

You can also access emergency physical and mental health care at Sheffield’s Accident and Emergency Department (A&E):

  • Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield, S5 7AU
  • 0114 243 4343

Northern General Hospital is a large site and difficult to navigate. A taxi should take you to the A&E entrance. If you don’t have cash to pay for a taxi, you can use the Safe Taxi Scheme.

Crisis support

University Health Service

In a crisis, you access an assessment at UHS or the GP surgery where you’re ordinarily registered. Same day appointments with the duty doctor are available when required.

NHS Walk-in Centre

Alternatively, you can make an appointment at the NHS Walk-in Centre.
You don’t need to be registered at the walk-in centre to be seen.

  • Rockingham House, Broad Lane, Sheffield, S1 3PB
  • 8:00am - 10:00pm, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
  • NHS Walk-in Centre

Or call the NHS on 111.

A listening ear

If you just need to talk to someone you can contact Samaritans.