Other University and external support
An outline of the relevant University and external support/advice services in Sheffield and how to contact them.
- Accommodation Services
- Chaplaincy Centre
- Disability and Dyslexia Support Service (DDSS)
- International Student Support
- Student Advice Centre
- University Health Service
- 301 Academic Skills Centre
- External support
- Applying for University-owned accommodation.
- Issues with lost keys, theft/security or concerns with fellow living partners.
- House-hunting advice and helping you find accommodation
- Information about various faiths and their relationship with academic life.
- Facilities including prayer rooms, meditation and quiet reflection.
- Links to Religious Societies and community events.
Disability and Dyslexia Support Service (DDSS)
- Confidential advice about disability support in the University environment, including assistance to obtain diagnostic evidence (e.g. an SpLD assessment).
- Individually-tailored support based on discussions with you about your requirements (from exam adjustments to 1:1 support, like mentoring).
International Student Support
- Visa and immigration concerns.
- Settling in, acclimatising to Sheffield and UK culture through welcome sessions, community/student events and packages.
- Queries relating to careers, family life/dependents and language queries.
Student Advice Centre
- Advice services independent of the University including academic, housing, money, legal and safety concerns.
- Appointments with appropriate advisors.
- Connections and information regarding Student Union events, activities and nightlife.
University Health Service
- Prescriptions, medical assessments and general GP service.
- Additional services include blood tests, sexual health screening, mental health guidance and contraception advice (you must be registered with them).
- You can consult with both GP's and nurses depending on need and urgency.
301 Academic Skills Centre
- Bookable workshops, drop-in sessions and online study skills tools.
- A range of study skill-related classes and workshops including MASH (Maths & Stats), Presentation Skills, Writing Advisory Service and Mind-Mapping.
- Developing your personal skills and gaining experience to help you succeed in your studies and after.
There’s a range of support available in Sheffield. For information about the support available, visit: